Discovering the beauty of my own local surroundings in Beckley, West Virginia

Beckley Travel Blog

Turkey Spur Overlook
I knew that I loved West Virginia for a good reason. For a week, I had been planning on taking a road trip to see the beautiful fall foliage. Being the indecisive person that I am, I had to finally make a last minute decision the night before my outing. I settled on not going to far away so a day trip would be sufficient.

I headed towards Beckley, West Virginia, only an hour from my home in Charleston, West Virginia. I thought that Grandview Park might be an interesting place to hang out for the day. Once in the park, I realized that I had made the right decision. I had been to Grandview State Park before but apparently, I was unaware of the vast beauty this park held.
Turkey Spur Overlook, The New river
I can't believe that I didn't explore this place before. Actually, I can't believe there isn't more advertisement for it. It's a hidden gem in Beckley, West Virginia. It's not even far off of the interstate.  It's located 5 miles North off of I-64 and the West Virginia turnpike, exit 129.

What's so spectacular about this park is the overlook view of The New River Gorge. It's such a beautiful view from up above. I love looking down at the New River which is reported as possibly being the 2nd or 1st oldest river in the world! You just have to see it for yourself. There are some short and easy trails at the park, some caves, large boulders (I love rocks) and some great overlooks.

If you will be traveling the West Virginia Turnpike, I recommend a quick stop at this beautiful treasure of a park.
The Main Overlook
I spent 5 or 6 hours there but it's possible to get a quick view in about 1/2 hour. If you will be only making the quick stop, be sure to stop at the Main Overlook, North Overlook and Turkey Spur (and climb to the top deck). I promise, you will not be disappointed.
Heading to Turkey Spur
Heading to Turkey Spur
At the Main Overlook and The New R…
At the Main Overlook and The New …
North Overlook