University Times

London Travel Blog

So I ended up going to Cambridge much later than planned and missed St. Paul´s and tea at The Orangery completely. Once I got there I wandered around for a bit, not finding the university as easily as I expected. Eventually I met an American student who was there interviewing for a graduate school position, and he leant me a map which finally led me to campus. Ended up taking a student-led punting tour on the Thames, and shared the boat with 3 other people - 1 an Asian American girl about my size who had graduated first in her class from West Point (!) and was now studying history at St. George´s College in Cambridge, and the other 2 an older couple who taught her while at West Point. They were super nice and advised me to watch the choir performance at King´s College that night at 5:30 - which I didn´t do but probably should have : ).

I never knew that A.A. Milne drew his first sketches of Winnie the Pooh at Cambridge, and they also have Sir Isaac Newton´s original notes on gravity in the margins of Principa Mathematica there. These are both on display at Trinity College, but because I got there so late, I wasn´t able to actually see them. Our student guide was really cute and had a fan club of kids from a tour earlier that day, who yelled out his name and waved aviator sunglasses at him (apparently part of his signature look) when we crossed under one of the many university bridges. It was a beautiful day, and I made it back to London around 7:30.

Warren´s friend had again cooked dinner at his place, so it was a lovely relaxing night with home-cooked salmon, risotto, and asparagus, watching a DVD of the Da Vinci Code in which Tom Hanks totally sucked. Warren´s roommate works for the home distribution arm of Paramount, so they have a million DVDs available at any time. I then packed for my 2 nights in Scotland, about which I´ll write more in the following entry.

goodfarmerchen says:
hmmm you know i´m pretty sure it was jessamyn. that could be short for ¨nina¨ i suppose!
Posted on: Mar 23, 2007
jeanbean says:
that girl from west point, her name wouldn't happen to be nina is it?
Posted on: Mar 22, 2007