Sur le Pont

Avignon Travel Blog

Hallo,

I'm now in Avignon, waiting for the train that will whisk me away to Germany-via-Paris. The ride will take a total of 15 hours, yipes, and Munich is my first destination in L'Allemagne.

I like Avignon a lot. It's super charming and manageable for the short time I can spend here. The enormous Palais des Papes (pope's palace) was nice to visit, and it'll be interesting to compare the austerity of this palace to the current pope's residence in Vatican City. The Avignon bridge was also very cute, and the audioguide provided interesting context for its construction and subsequent fame.

I had an extremely pleasant last day in Nice as well and almost didn't leave when I planned to. The rain had cleared the air, the sun came out, and I spent some time on the beach, ate more gelato (this time vanilla black pepper rose flavored mmmm), and made my way up the hill at the end of Promenade des Anglais for a more panoramic view of Nice.

Strangely, on my first and only night in Avignon, I bumped into the Canadian couple I met a month ago in Madrid! They'd decided to treat themselves to their first dinner out in weeks, as they'd been saving money by cooking for themselves. Somehow out of all the places in the world, we ended up sitting two tables away from each other at the same restaurant. I almost stayed at the same hotel as them, too, but had passed by a place with cheaper posted rates while walking from the train station and decided to stay there instead. Crazy huh?

My place in Avignon happened to be above a karaoke bar, so I had a fun night singing karaoke with Avignon locals. I really like the word Avignon. I can't believe I'm already leaving France and am quite sad to go. The food in this region of France really suits me, too, a lot lighter than the fare in Lyon and much of what I ate in Paris. There's an abundance of tomato, olive oil, garlic, etc instead of the cream and pork which seemed to characterize Lyonnaise food. I guess that makes sense considering this area's proximity to the Meditteranean . . .

K anyway I'm off. Will send greetings from Munchen after I arrive.

With love and more than your average affection,

-- jane h chen --

etran says:
small world! how sweet. =)
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
chunkielove says:
I second Leon's suggestion. More food! More food! I love the word Avignon, too. I shall name my next pet and/or plant that. It really fancies it up!
Posted on: Apr 30, 2007
goodfarmerchen says:
hey di! yes you're right i actually haven't taken pictures of many really awesome meals and things and people and sights, and barely have any at all from lyon and some other locations. sometimes i just don't feel like taking pictures but probably should make myself more so i have them for later and to show you guys. but then some things i'd rather just remember in my head. but then my memory kind of sucks. i also have my notebook though, which i should start writing in more. so anyway, in conclusion, i will try to take more pictures of food. talk to you soon : )
Posted on: Apr 18, 2007