Small Things

Madrid Travel Blog

So I´m here in Madrid, having arrived the night before last around 8 pm. My flight from London took forever, with a 4 hour layover at the most boring airport ever in Palma. Unlike me, my luggage has still not arrived, though apparently it was found in London and is on its way here - should arrive at my Hostal this morning. The weird thing is I sorta had a feeling this would happen. I asked several times when I was checking in for my flights whether my bag would for sure make it all the way to Madrid. I´m not a fan of Star Alliance at the moment.

A couple good things about not having my bag, though - 1) I had a very light trip from the airport to the place i´m staying and 2) I haven´t had to worry about anything being stolen from my room while I´m out!

The latter is especially nice because the key situation here is kind of weird. Any time you leave the Hostal (which is nice, I booked a single room with my very own bathroom yay) you have to leave your keys in this little box marked with room numbers by the front desk. The box itself is totally open and nobody checks when you take or leave your key so potentially anyone could see when you´re out of your room, pick up your key, and just hang out in there as long as they want. So really, lost luggage has been a blessing in disguise - who woulda thunk.

Also, I was really lucky that I happened to pack my jeans in my carry on backpack. Other than my phone running out of batteries, not having my luggage has been just fine. The only thing I had to buy was toothpaste, and I would´ve run out of that soon anyway. I´ve been brushing my teeth like a mofo.

In Madrid, I´ve met a super nice Canadian couple who quit their jobs in Calgary and are traveling the world for a whole year. They´ve already been on the road for 6 months and we had dinner and drinks last night at this cute Cervezeria near our Hostal (they´re staying here too). For 20 Euros total we each had 3 little sandwiches called bocadillos (1 tortilla, 1 tuna with onions, 1 chicken with tomate) and humongo beers. Awesome!

During the day, I hung out with these 20 year old kids from Minnesota and Japan-via-Texas who are studying outside of Venice and in Madrid for their spring breaks. We met at the Palacio Real and took the Metro to the Parque del Buen Retiro and ate some delicious ice cream. We were all supposed to meet up at this one restaurant for dinner, but unfortunately the Canadians and I got there late and we missed them, as the restaurant was closed, and they probably went elsewhere.

K I´ll backfill entries about Cambridge and Scotland from the past week later, and am now off to the Prado. Adios!

etran says:
I love that you're just having dinner with random people. That's awesome. (I've got to find another word to describe all of this...well, awesomeness.)
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007