Japan Day 1

Tokyo Travel Blog

I reached Tokyo last night and checked into my hostel in the Shinjuku area of town. For some reason, it took me literally 4 hours to get from my plane to the hostel, and I was quite exhausted by the time I got in. I was also worried because Homer was supposed to meet me for dinner there (he's in town for a work conference), and I had no way of reaching him even though I was running several hours late. Luckily, it turned out he had work to do so couldn't meet up that night anyway; we'll meet up on Sunday instead.

Today I woke up later than expected, then spent hours just wandering around the Shibuya, Aoyama, and Harajuku areas of town. I ate a fish tempura and sashimi bento box for my very first meal in Japan, then bought a pair of sunglasses to replace the ones I'd lost in Laos.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with a Japanese student that Will and I met in Vang Vieng, and we're going to have okonomiyaki for lunch then hang out in Shinjuku. On Saturday, some family friends will pick me up for a trip outside the city in their new Toyota Prius, after which we'll have dinner. It'll be nice to see them, as it's been quite a while since their last visit to California. Sadly I left the fancy pants mooncakes I bought them in Singapore, so will have to look for another gift tomorrow.

Other plans I have for Tokyo include checking out the cosplay craziness around Harajuku on Sunday, visiting the morning fish market and museums in the Ueno area, trying to catch a sumo match, and eating as much as humanly possible. There's also a store selling plastic replicas of restaurant food that I'm determined to patron.

Okay, I will write more when there's more to write. Still behind on the rest of my blog. See you all soon. Konban wa!

tpchen says:
Great to talk to you on your rental phone. Have wonderful time, take care, be safe and pray.
Posted on: Sep 20, 2007