Adios Espagna, Bonjour Paris!

Paris Travel Blog

My last day in Barcelona, I visited Teatre del Liceu - which is the 2nd largest opera house in Europe after the Opéra Bastille in Paris - and the Palau de la Musica Catalana. Both were very pretty, and the Liceu made me want to watch an opera at some point during my travels. Soon afterward, my camera ran out of batteries, and I discovered the charger I bought has not been working all along. Boo, just in time for Paris. I've been using an old school disposable ever since.

On the way to Paris, I rode in my first sleeper car ever. Contrary to what I'd been told, it was quite a pleasant experience. I ate pistachios, chatted with a Spanish girl/English teacher en route to visit her boyfriend in Limoges, and generally got a good night's rest. Upon arrival, Christine's very elegant and friendly mom showed me to my room on the top floor and let me wash my clothes and eat breakfast before heading out for the day. That means my jacket is finally clean, hooray!

As forecast, it's quite wet outside. I walked around for roughly 8 hours, checked out the Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Place de la Concorde, and the outsides of the Louvre (will save going inside for a full day) and Notre Dame. I find myself still wanting to say ¨hola¨and ¨gracias¨ all the time and keep catching myself to say ¨bonjour¨and ¨merci¨ instead.

Earlier today I bought a bunch of macarons from La Durée, which my friend Monica recommended trying. SO good, and my favorite of the ones I tried was the caramel-ish one. Turns out what I thought were unusual macaroons in London were actually very standard, delicious ¨macarons¨, a totally different kind of cookie :) I took a couple of pictures before consuming them, so I'll try to get them posted at some point - figure I can burn them to CD for uploading.

On a side note, you know the keyboards in France are arranged differently from back home? For example, the "Z" is where I'm used to having the "W", the "Q" is in the "A" spot, and you always have to press the shift key to type numbers - otherwise punctuation marks will show up instead. ç à é § € and ù are some cool keys we don't even have. It does make me feel kind of like bear paws, though, picking out my words with my fingers . . . and I know mavis beacon would be horrified.

Anyway, I'm excited to be in Paris and love love my room at Christine's mom's house. It's super cute and cozy, and I get to use these big metal keys that actually look like real keys to open the doors, so fun. I still have to decide my plan for the rest of France and will hopefully get that settled tonight or tomorrow. I will write more about my Parisian adventures shortly. Until next time, mes amies, bon soir.
goodfarmerchen says:
stacyw!! haha yes mavis beacon, and you should come join me if you get any break during the summer : ) k talk to you later, bye!
Posted on: Apr 05, 2007
stacyw510 says:
hi jane h chen,

mavis beacon. that's hilarious. i learned how to type from mavis beacon too. i wish i could be traveling with you. - stacy
Posted on: Apr 02, 2007
goodfarmerchen says:
Hi ma, Erica will probably meet up with me for this weekend, and I'll be at RuiRui's with Manali by beginning of May. K talk to you later, bye! : )
Posted on: Apr 02, 2007