The First Attack

Edinburgh Travel Blog

After a lengthy train journey like that you need a bit of refreshment and as it had just started to drizzle it needed to be somewhere close.  And as the sun was well and truly over the yard arm it needed to serve wine!
Fortunately when your with locals such a place was not difficult to find so we spent an enjoyable few hours wetting our whistle at Ecco Vino whilst we waited for more of our party to arrive.
Although we're joined at the hip to Scotland (or based on the map perhaps that should be the neck) there are still little odd differences that remind you now and again that you're in another country.
When we had arrived at the bar it seemed somewhat odd to encounter some bloke hovering in the doorway looking decidedly shifty as he puffed away on a cigarette.  Of course I'd forgotten that Scotland had introduced a smoking ban last year so he had had to go outside to light up.  What this means is that every bar you see will have a couple of people hovering in the door enjoying the cold and the rain.
Anyway - back to the action.
A few glasses of Merlot to the good we nipped off home to drop off my cases before heading for the airport to collect the final member of our party.
That's about all to report for day one.  Nothing else but a stop off at Sainsbury's for some pizza and then off to bed...
X_Drive says:
I loved Edinburgh. Only there for two nights but saw a ton and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Posted on: Mar 11, 2007
Higton says:
I've been to Edinburgh once and had a God awful time, I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it more. I went to try and find the pub that Ian Rankin has Inspector Rebus in all the time, (The Oxford) but had a devil of a job finding it...
Posted on: Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Ecco Vino is a small, narrow wine bar situated just round the corner from Waverley station, just on the edge of the old town. Traditionally furnish… read entire review
photo by: vances