Visit to a Cambodian Clinic

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Infected nick

WARNING: May be graphic to some viewers.

I had caught up with my German friends sipping sidewalk beers at the Te Lee Hong restaurant. The four Bavarians spent six months a year in Sihanoukville. For the past three years we had met up at the Te Lee Hong, just across the street from the market. I had hoped the German doctor was in town but he didn't show up this year. One of the friends had left early for Germany after taking ill. I took over the remaining two weeks of his month-long motorbike rental.

It was nice having my own transportation despite burning my good leg on the exhaust pipe. The road-rash injuries from my collision with a motorbike in Nha Trang were slow to heal in humid tropical air and the nicked ankle from my ride across the border had become infected, swelling the entire leg.

Swelling
I walked with a limp. After several over-the-counter cure attempts from local pharmacies had failed to ease the pain or swelling, I went to a clinic.

A certified doctor studied the wounds, scribbled onto a notepad, called an assistant, then left the room. The consultation cost US$5. I hobbled the hallway following the assistant through a sliding glass door into a room that looked equipped for surgery. I laid under bright lights while he snipped small pieces of dead skin, removed some bits of dirt, then flushed both injuries with alcohol before dabbing them with iodine. He applied sterile gauze pads and wrapped my ankle and my leg just below the knee with white bandages. That cost another $5. Prescribed antibiotics and pain killers were an additional $22 but well worth it - they eventually worked.

Swelling
Initial road rash (January 18)
Initial road rash (January 18)