Southbound on I-55

O'Fallon Travel Blog

Holding sixty

From Hinsdale, I motored onto Interstate 55 South off of County Line Road. Traffic flowed nicely while  the northbound lanes - into Chicago - resembled a long and narrow parking lot. I wondered how many of those traffic-jammed commuters were inching toward jobs that they absolutely despised. But it didn't really matter - I was free of that lifestyle, free of the city, and free to roam the world. It felt mighty fine.

With winds from the north, La Bamba purred nicely down the interstate. By holding 60 miles per hour it managed to average 23-24 miles per gallon. With a headwind, that mileage would have been drastically reduced since the Volkswagen camper has the aerodynamics of an unwaxed shoe box.

While skies continued to darken, I made an easy day of reaching O'Fallon which is in southern Illinois just fifteen miles east of St. Louis, Missouri. My cousin, Dawn-Marie, and family are living there, winding up successful careers in the U.S. Air Force. Over the years, I had visited her and Keith five times while they were stationed in Germany and other times while assigned to bases in California and Oklahoma. Their boys had the opportunity to grow up in Germany, have seen much of Europe, and are surly destined to remain world travelers. Though Dawn-Marie is the youngest of all my cousins, I look up to her like she was a big sister.

The VW at Dawn & Keiths