A Second Night in District 1

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

Donner kebab stand

The Hau Mini Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City charged me the same $17 price for a room as last year though rates had increased slightly. They remembered me. My room was up four flights of stairs but well equipped with an air conditioner, fridge, hot water, cable TV, and a floor fan. After freshening up from the Cu Chi Tunnel tour, I circled the block a few times then decided on dinner at the Donner kebab stand. The kebabs too had increased in price from 10,000 to 15,000VNÐ but was still under a dollar. The pita bread sandwich was cheap, filling, and tasty.

Afterwards I enjoyed a cappuccino at the Bobby Brew coffee shop.

Sidewalk beers
The excellent brew was rather expensive but the only decent cup of coffee that I new I would find. Since leaving Cambodia, I only drank Lipton tea, usually with breakfast, knowing  that Vietnamese coffee is much too strong and stout for my liking. In District 1, I always stop for a good cup at Bobby's. The place always seems busy with customers for food, drink, and their free wireless internet connection.

Finally, a couple of Saigon Beers at the Go2 Bar on the nearby corner to cap off an early night. The Go2 has a nice atmosphere and great music inside, and sidewalk tables outside which make for relaxed people watching . District 1 bustles much like a scaled down Khao Sanh Road in Bangkok. Most all of the traveler's hotels and guesthouses are here which draws countless street venders. Souvenir shops, travel agents, and twenty-four-hour bars and restaurants line several of the nearby streets. A steady flow of busses, taxis, bicycles, push carts, and motorbikes prowl the neighborhood late into the night. Street-side venders close shop around 10:00 and late-night bars, including one upstairs at the Go2, open at 2:00 a.m. to cater to all-night partiers.

Lord_Mike says:
Doner Kebab...I remember that from Thailand!
Posted on: Jan 18, 2009
Lord_Mike says:
Very inexpensive, just what I remembered about SE Asia...thanks for letting me live vicariously through your travels!
Posted on: Jan 18, 2009