On the Road Again

Chicago Travel Blog

On the road again

I woke at quarter to nine in the parking lot beside JC's Bar in Gladstone. Normally I wake earlier but the bitter cold morning made for a longer sleep. I laid there a few seconds to gather where I was and what I intended to do this day … oh yeah, head south! I drove over to the Holiday gas station for a cup of coffee and a chocolate covered donut - to go.

I stopped at the Dobber's Pasty shop in Escanaba to buy six of the upper Michigan delicacies for my sister Carol and her Husband Dick down in Chicago. The pasty is a semi-circular, baked pie-like crust filled with diced beef, potato, onion, and assorted vegetables. Believed to have originated in Cornwall, U.K., the pasty has been an Upper Peninsula tradition since miners toted them for an easy meal in the underground iron ore mines.

Eat one!

I cleared traffic through town , passed the airport, then cruised south down M-35 along the Lake Michigan shoreline. I stopped at two lakeside parks to glimpse the shoreline that I had paddled last month on a 105-mile kayak trip from Washington Island [see Kayaking Green Bay]. Further down, I spotted a billboard advertising another Dobber's Pasty shop in Menominee and made a U-turn to take a picture of it.

Passing through Green Bay, I detoured past Lambeau Field to get a picture but the sun was just at a bad angle so I drove on by. The Green Bay Packers would be taking on the Indianapolis Colts there day after tomorrow. I crossed Milwaukee before rush-hour traffic and reached Hinsdale in southwest Chicago, too, before the Expressways clogged with commuters.

I had a nice visit with Carol and Dick. Their son Nate who I hadn't seen for several years was visiting from London, having graduated from studies in Holland, Austria, and Switzerland. Dick had also traveled extensively in his youth and I encouraged them both to consider joining TravBuddy to share their adventures.

Chicago