AsiaVietnamXaxia

The Prek Chak/Xaxia Border Crossing

Xaxia Travel Blog

Traffic near Kep

The motorbike driver arrived at my guesthouse just before ten and we were soon on our way out of Kampot. The narrow tree-lined road toward Kep was a little bumpy though paved. Scenery was picturesque passing rural villages, rice paddies, water buffalo, and an occasional ox-drawn cart.

Some miles after Kep, the driver turned off the paved road for a time-saving 'short-cut' across the countryside on a rough and rugged road of red clay. It zig-zagged across farmlands, past grazing, half-starved cattle, around rice paddies, and through mangrove wetlands. I was somewhat relieved to see another westerner on the back of a motorbike along the same route headed toward Kampot. We were never far from the Cambodian coast but never saw it.

Approaching Vietnam
The rough track finally entered the village of Prek Chak and the border checkpoint. The hour-long ride from Kampot seemed like four. I was the only one processing out of Cambodia while the driver patiently waited. It went smoothly and we continued less than a mile, back on sealed road, to the Vietnam border post at Xaxia.

I had bought my Vietnam visa at their embassy in Sihanoukville for US$37. I wanted two months like last year but they can only issue a 30 stay from that office now. I was told I could extend the visa while in Vietnam. I filled out a health questionnaire form which cost $1, then processed through immigration. In twenty minutes, we were back on the road toward nearby Ha Tien.

[These pictures were all taken in Cambodia.]

Approaching Vietnam
The Horse Monument between Kampot …
The Horse Monument between Kampot…
Cattle country