The Outer 'burbs of Phoenix

Phoenix Travel Blog

Their cat

It had been several years since I visited my cousin living in Phoenix. I snaked around Sky Harbor Airport on I-10 then found my way to the outer northwest suburbs. From one of the bypasses, I took a familiar sounding exit - Bell - and motored the wide boulevard past new car dealerships, ultra modern shopping centers with cinemas and fitness centers, and family restaurants of what seemed every national chain. Phoenix still held a newness about it. I overshot familiarity but zeroed in after five right turns and a left. The residential streets of clean blacktop and white sidewalks were lined with low-profile homes of stucco or adobe with front lawns of small stone. Many side-yards held stored motor homes, power boats,  ATVs, or monster trucks; one, a wingless airplane. A final left turn put me at the house that I was looking for. My old and dusty VW looked out of place parked on that street.

I rang the doorbell, didn’t actually hear it, so knocked on the front door. There was no response, though a vehicle was parked in the driveway. I gave my cousin Jerry a phone call to learn that he and Amanda had moved. Their new house was nearby - somewhere in these outer northwest suburbs where the growing city meets the desert.

Phoenix