Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City Travel Blog

Johnny playing banjo - Alaska, 1978

Oklahoma City is one of my favorites. Bricktown, with its refurbished red-brick buildings, baseball park, and expanded canal system winding through the downtown shopping and nightlife area all enhance a small-town, nostalgic, rustic charm to a rapidly growing western metropolis. The city and surroundings have a lot to offer and its people are friendly and hospitable. I stop here primarily on my cross-country drives to visit Johnny and Debbie. I'd known Johnny and his previous wife Myrna since 1978 when we worked several jobs in the Alaska bush. Besides being a very talented musician, singer, and songwriter, he is one of the best helicopter pilots that I've had the privilege of working with over the years and, though a year younger than I, has always been like a big brother.

Check out You Tube and search: pilot recounts river rescue

Halloween went mostly unnoticed as we reminisced, sipping whiskey and foreign beers in their backyard patio. Sophie, their youngest daughter, is a Senior in high school already. One of Debbie's boys has grown to become an acclaimed chef; another, attending med school. KC, Johnny's eldest with Myrna, lives nearby with her husband Chuck and they stopped by to visit and browse the internet for bedding for their own expectant child. Johnny and I acknowledged that we must be getting old. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up but stops in Oklahoma City always indicate a bright future.

Chuck and KC