A Little Sunshine on a Cloudy Day

Nha Trang Travel Blog

Nha Trang

The Nha Trang Beach normally sees the sunrise but today was gray and cloudy. After a 'Pete's Breakfast' morning meal at the Same Same But Different, I pedaled south, planning to double back along the promenade between Tran Phu Street and the beach. By good fortune, I ran into old friends. Bong and his wife Hai eked a living with a street-side coffee stand near the Cultural Center last year. Many of the street-side venders near Tran Phu, along the central beach, had either been relocated or removed. Ken told me that the couple had relocated with a single vender's cart somewhere across from the Water Park, about three-quarters of a mile south. I had looked for them several times before but many carts in that area were closed while owners prepared for the Tet holiday season.

It was Hai who yelled out unexpectedly as I passed a narrow alleyway southbound.

Hai and Bong
I didn't immediately recognize her until I saw Bong's toothy smile. They were sitting on a chair and plastic stool behind a light pole. Though none of us knew each other's language, we shook hands, laughed, talked, and gestured. Bong pointed to the new handlebars on the 107 and to my road rashed leg and elbow from a collision with a motorbike on Hung Vuong. He didn't understand my "Vietnam tattoo" response. I nodded to his new display cart. It seemed smaller than his previous carts and only boasted three plates of narrow meat strips, some cheeses, baguettes, and a few condiments. No drinks other than coffee and tea, and no snacks or tobacco. "No bia?" I asked. He responded "Tomorrow" after coaxing that word from Hai.

I crossed Tran Phu, pedaled around the water park complex, then back north along the park. Every ride is different with something less or something new. With no sun, the beach was rather quiet but the morning nice for a few photos.

[Bong and Hai were the subjects of one of my travelogs last year so it was a thrill to see them again. For more on Bong and Hai:

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/18515/Street-side-Venders-Nha-Trang-42 ]

rhonda724 says:
What a wonderful adventure. I feel like I am there, reading your blog.
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009
Koralifix says:
Lucky you, a beach without crowds ;-)
Posted on: Jan 23, 2009