Leaving Phu Quoc

Vong Bai Travel Blog

Main road crossing the island

I had stopped at Phu Quoc for its easy access from the southernmost Cambodia/Vietnam border crossing near Ha Tien. I only intended to stay two days then continue north but kept extending and kept extending. I liked the island and really didn't want to leave at all, but two weeks into my 30 day visa, I had to get to Nha Trang to get a 30-day extension before the Tet Holiday season begins and government offices close. Tet will be early this year - January 26.

If I hadn't already stirred to the daybreak light, I would not have heard the 6:30 wake-up knock on my door; a single soft tap. My alarm clock too went unnoticed with a faint beep - I had to hold it against an ear to check if it actually worked.

Loading the Superdong 1
Before leaving home, I meant to find a wind-up clock with a bell that would startle me awake with a jolt of adrenalin but, as always, I packed and fled in forgetful haste.

I paid for the last two bottles of water that I drank from the fridge in my room and collected my passport and boat ticket to the mainland. The same motorbike driver that brought me from the Ham Binh dock on my arrival showed up at seven to take me back across the island to the to the Vong Bai dock. The sun had not yet cleared the hills and the morning air was chilly. Then after passing those hills, we found sunshine but winds blew strong from the northeast.

I bought a couple of sesame seed bread rolls from a dock-side vender and munched the breakfast while watching the Superdong 1 High Speed Ferry being loaded. Four motorbikes were coaxed onboard along a narrow plank then tightly tied to the bow railings. The strong winds slapped whitecap waves against her hull and the sleek boat rocked wildly at the Vong Bai dock. It looked like this was going to be a rough crossing.

Rough waters at the Vong Bai dock