Flying to Phu Quoc

Duong Dong Travel Blog

Domestic flights out of HCMC

I rode a motorbike taxi from District 1 back out to the domestic terminal at Tan Son Nhut. Check-in was quick. While a line of passengers waited for Vietnam Airlines counter agents, I walked right up to their  'No Baggage' counter, quite humbled to be a 'carry-on'. That allowed plenty of spare time to enjoy a cappuccino at the terminal's cafeteria, to browse its duty-free-style shopping area, and to shoot a few pictures.

VN Flight 483 reached Phu Quoc in less than an hour. The airport is right in Duong Dong - just on the north side of the river from town. A 20,000 Ðong motorbike taxi brought me to the Phu Quoc Bungalows where I had stayed on my last visit.

Phu Quoc poser
Ngu, the middle-aged Vietnamese owner/manager, married to an elder Frenchman, greeted me with open arms. I moved back into A7 with a twenty-five per cent reduced rate from my previous visit. I like to think of that saving as from being a 'regular' but in fact, it was due to the usual drop in post-season rates. There were far more rooms available on the island now.

After an early afternoon breakfast at the Eden Bar and Restaurant on the beach, I visited friends from my last visit at the Oases and the Viet Thanh Beach Bar. Both Steph and Quyen had turned a good season. Like most all of the businesses, they relied on the short peak season to carry them for the rest of the year. Now they catered to sporadic travelers passing through. Since temperatures and humidity had both soared dramatically from the peak months of December and January, only a couple dozen foreigners swam, strolled, or sunbathed on the popular beach. It was great to be back in tropical paradise - even in the off-season.

Lupobianco says:
Very helpful...and well told too!
Posted on: Apr 01, 2015