Flight to Nha Trang

Cam Ranh Travel Blog

The airport at Cam Ranh Bay

Back on Phu Quoc I had gone to the Vietnam Air ticket office to buy a round-trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang. I left the return date open but set the flight north for January 12th. It was the only way that I could force myself to leave that awesome island. The round-trip flight cost just under US$100 and would save two days of travel - more than 20 hours on busses. I booked the 11:30 flight which allowed a late sleep, leisure breakfast, and plenty of time to get to the airport.

Check-in at Saigon's domestic terminal went extremely fast since there was a counter just for those with no baggage to check. When the flight was called, passengers boarded a shuttle bus. I assumed it would carry us to an ATR Turboprop plane, like last year's flight, so was thrilled when we pulled up to a sleek Airbus A-320 jet. The flight only took forty minutes to reach Cam Ranh Bay - where Nha Trang's airport had been relocated to about a year ago. Last February the flight down took an hour on the ATR.

Being a 'carry-on' allowed me to exit right to the waiting taxis and mini-vans but I still had to wait half an hour for eleven others to fill the van. The ride along the coast and into Nha Trang took about half an hour. Vans and busses from Cam Ranh go to the old Nha Trang Airport terminal building right in the city.

Saigon commuters
Saigon commuters
Saigon traffic
Saigon traffic
Temple in Saigon
Temple in Saigon
Old and new at Saigon s airport
Old and new at Saigon 's airport