Finding a Place to Stay on Phu Quoc

Duong Dong Travel Blog

Duong Dong

A dozen or so taxi drivers met the boat at the Ham Ninh dock, all offering places to stay or rides to anyone already holding reservations. I asked several of the other foreigners if they knew of any nice beaches but they too were first-time visitors. After the deceptions in Ha Tien, I was leery but selected one driver who had a wallet full of guesthouse cards and seemed on the up and up. For 40,000 VNÐ (about US$2.30), he brought me the fifteen or so kilometers to the west side of the island by motorbike where Long Beach and the bulk of the island's resorts and bungalows are concentrated.

We reached the west coast at Duong Dong which is the main town on Phu Quoc.

Track to the beach off main road
It seemed to have plenty of hotels, restaurants, shops, and ATM machines. As we rounded the main traffic circle, he pointed out the street where the night market is held. We headed south on Tran Hung Dao. The pavement ended at the edge of town where the wider new road is being built and we continued another 4 kilometers on dusty red clay.

Immediately past the high-dollar Charm Resort and its prominent red ATM machine, we turned onto an single-lane dirt track leading downhill toward the beach. From Tran Hung Dao, the 'street' was marked by a handful of signboards advertising restaurants and bungalows; that for the Eden most obvious. A blue Sacombank ATM machine also marked the corner. The way was lined with several restaurants, resorts, and two small convenience shops. The area has about a dozen resorts which are primarily modern bungalows, the most notable probably being the Eden and La Veranda.

Reception
I could use either of those easy names for taxi instructions to get back to the area by taxi from town or from the dock on my next trip to the island. Just past the Bistrot Restaurant and Bungalows, we angled right onto another, rougher, dirt track.

The driver brought me to the Phu Quoc Bungalows where I took a room for $20 a night. From the several travel blogs that I had read about Phu Quoc on TravBuddy, it seemed a fair price. The concrete room has a red tiled floor and a white wooden ceiling with a large fan centered above a queen-size bed. The bed is high off the floor making it easy to scan the entire floor for unwanted critters though the place is spotless. The room has a fridge stocked with beer, Coca Cola, and bottled water with plenty of extra room for small snacks. A table framing the fridge holds a flashlight, candle, ash tray, and a price list for the available drinks inside it.

The beach view north
A small table with a dimmer-controlled reading lamp and chair makes a great work station for my laptop. The heavy wooden door swings open onto a patio, also tiled, with another table and chair and a hammock. Its about a hundred yard walk around the proprietors on-site house, out a back gate, and along a wooded footpath past a small cemetery to the beach. The second key on my key ring is for the yellow front gate, off the narrow road, which is locked after 9:00 p.m.

A string of bars and restaurants line the nearby palm-lined beach. All the resorts and bungalows appear fairly new and modern. Beach bars and restaurants vary from modern to crude and make for a real nice atmosphere for both tourists and backpackers. The various sets of bungalows along the beach are a bit pricier than mine. I was stunned to learn that bungalows that cost US$8-12 a night just last year are now going for $40 so I appreciated the room that I got. There are more visitors than rooms on the island, indicating Vietnam's booming economy and Phu Quoc's growing popularity. It is highly recommended to make reservations before coming to this tropical island paradise during the peak season (December to April).

Thanh Kim Nga