Decisions, decisions

Lordsburg Travel Blog

Ruidoso had grown almost unrecognizable since I had worked here during the fire season several years ago so I continued through the Mescalero Apache Reservation (Geronimo's homelands). The towering wooded hills of tall timbers are one of New Mexico's many little-known treasures. The scenic drive is spectacular. I intercepted Highway 54 just north of Alamogordo, only stopping there long enough for gasoline, water, and a few snacks, then continued west across the White Sands Missile Range.

Steep hills just before Las Cruces had the VW bogged down to 25-30 mph in second gear. Ouch. The oil temperature gage crept up but didn't go high. Speed resumed on the downhill side and as I rapidly approached the Interstate 10 interchange, had to make a snap decision whether to go straight for El Paso or exit right for Tucson. At the last possible second, I veered right. I was not a hundred per cent satisfied with La Bamba's performance and if her condition worsened, wanted to be closer to Arizona where friends and family could provide a base for proper adjustments or repairs.

Being south of the massive Rocky Mountains, the VW advanced nicely westward and cruised over the Continental Divide. As the sun began to set, I decided to get a motel in Lordsburg. While I made the snap decision back in Las Cruces for Interstate 10 West, America was making another decision - who would be the next U.S. President. The VW had no radio and I wanted to know how the election was going, to watch its results.

photo by: Africancrab