Christmas in Cambodia

Sihanoukville Travel Blog

Christmas on Serendipity Beach

After a small breakfast at the Espresso Kampuchea, the side-street coffee shop next door to the Freedom Hotel, I retreated to my room, washed two of my three t-shirts, shaved my head, and clipped my toenails. Christmas Day and my final in Sihanoukville. The day was hot and very humid - more like March or April when the monsoon rains begin to build. As always, the motorbike driver wanted a dollar for the ride to Serendipity - about two miles - but took 3,000 Riels (75 cents).

I went for a quick swim then strolled Serendipity Beach with hopes of photographing a tanned and pretty western girl in a bikini and Santa Claus hat posing under a palm tree, maybe with an Angkor Beer. They were always in Thailand on my past three Christmases. The friends and family back home awed that the holiday didn't always have to be celebrated in knee-deep snow with a white-bearded fat guy in a red suit and listening to Bing Cosby over and over. No caroling here either. Only a few westerners lounged on the beach, most had probably celebrated late into Christmas Eve and were still recovering.

Christmas at the beach