Border Crossing to Cambodia

Ha Tien Travel Blog

Heading for the border

The water crossing from Phu Quoc went smooth and it was great to be back in Ha Tien. I deeply regretted not having the time to spend a night - actually two with a full day in between. I wanted to explore the hillside monastery across the river and a lighthouse that I had seen on a far off point from the boat. My old friends at the Thien Long Hotel would know if those excursions were even possible and help set them up if they were. Also, if I went missing someone would know. But my Vietnamese visa would expire at midnight and I didn't want to overstay by even a day. I feared it may prevent any future visa for the country. I like Vietnam and plan to return later this year so will pass this way again.

At the familiar Ha Tien dock, I arranged a motorbike taxi to the border and on into Kep for US$10. A light rain provided little relief from the building heat and humidity as we approached the Vietnamese side. Though I was the only one crossing, processing took about half an hour. It was about a kilometer ride across 'no-man's land' to the Cambodian checkpoint. Immigration there went faster but besides for the US$25 for my 30-day Cambodia visa, they charged another three for not having a photograph. On the Cambodian side, my driver from Ha Tien set me up with a friend for the ride on into Kep. In a secret huddle, they split the $10 I had already paid.

Hilltop lighthouse near Ha Tien