The Backstroke

Nha Trang Travel Blog

The Louisiane pool

After pedaling fifteen to twenty miles yesterday, I decided to stay closer to home and check out the Louisiane Brewhouse, a popular upscale restaurant and microbrewery close to Nha Trang's traveler/tourist area along the central beach. A handful of nearby beachfront kiosks offered wind surfing and para-boarding lessons, tours out to Hôn Tre Island, diving classes, and small sailboat rentals. Well-dressed venders sold fresh seafood. I had ridden past the place countless times over the past few weeks but had never stopped. I admired those foreigners affording fine meals, snacks, or in-house beers on the terrace overlooking the beach, poolside, or while basking in a sun lounger right on the beach under one of the thatched umbrellas . I took an outside table on the edge of shade. My head still tinted red and tingled like a pin-cushion from yesterday's ride but the rest of me craved more sunshine.

The pool
I was able to regulate it by shifting my chair.

A waiter in a tan uniform and baseball cap delivered an orange juice which cost 35,000 Ðong. The tall and narrow glass held the tangy drink, ice, half of an orange slice which had a green peel, and a flexible straw. It was one of those savory drinks far too expensive to gulp or guzzle and it would secure my spot on the poolside patio.

The swimming pool was clear, cool, and refreshing. Its moderate size made doing laps from end to end rather easy.  I'm not much of a swimmer, at least on the surface. It always seemed more natural, quick, and graceful swimming underwater but I decided to keep a casual eye on my shoulder bag and precious orange juice glass by practicing the backstroke.

Louisiane beachfront