Back in Town

Nha Trang Travel Blog

The 62 Tran Phu

After the shuttle from Cam Ranh, I took a motorbike taxi from the Nha Trang Airport terminal building to the 62 Tran Phu Hotel which was less than a mile up the beach. The stunning Vietnamese receptionist remembered me from last year and charged the same $10 room rate. That's a good price for air-con, cable, fridge, fan, and hot water just across the street from the beach. During the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday - Tet - prices will double but I should have a local place to stay by then.

After unpacking my daypack I headed to the Spot, the popular expat hangout from last year. The place had relocated from its original site where a new restaurant or hotel was under construction. The new place, smaller, was once a travel office next door to Checkpoint Charlies and just a few doors down and on the same side of Hung Vuong Street.

The new Spot

Wilson had completely renovated the narrow building with up-to-date wiring, lighting, ceiling and wall fans, and tables with padded chairs or benches to line each wall. He and his wife Tuit maintained the same excellent menu of western and Vietnamese meals and ice cold beers at very reasonable prices.

Even early afternoon the Spot was busy with familiar faces, most of whom I had met last year. Except for the new location, it was like I had never left. One of the Canadians gave Ken a call - the expat former U.S. Marine who I had rented the room from last year. Ken had since moved to a new house and took in new boarders though held on to my Martin 107 bicycle for me. He came out to the Spot and gave me directions to his new place.

Back at the 62 Tran Phu I was able to pick up a wireless 3-bar connection from the neighboring Sea View Hotel. I needed neither the air conditioner nor the fan by leaving the windows open to cool windy air. I slept well to the sound of heavy surf as the South China Sea pounded the Nha Trang shore just across the street. I felt like I was home.

Nha Trang