The Arch in Saint Louis

Saint Louis Travel Blog

The Gateway Arch

I had crossed the Mississippi River at Saint Louis many times before, always admiring the Gateway Arch but had never taken the time to stop there. So I was thrilled when Dawn and Keith suggested we visit the monument. At 630 feet, it is the tallest national monument in the United States, Saint Louis' best-known landmark, and a popular tourist attraction. The Arch commemorates Thomas Jefferson and the westward expansion of the United States.

The shape of the Arch is called a catenary curve which is the shape that a free-hanging chain takes when held at both ends. It is considered the most structurally-sound arch shape. About a million visitors ride the egg-shaped trams to the top of the Arch each year but, being somewhat claustrophobic and fearing heights, I opted to admire the structure from ground level. The span of its two triangular-shaped legs at ground level equals its 630-foot height.

lockhart882000 says:
I will keep my feet on the ground too. Nice picture from the ground, but I am not going up inside.
Posted on: Jan 18, 2011
mellemel8 says:
OMG dan we were here on the same day. i was at the rams vs. cowboys game. did you go inside the arch?
Posted on: Nov 12, 2008
Dawn and Keith at the Arch
Dawn and Keith at the Arch
The south leg
The south leg
View of Saint Louis while crossing…
View of Saint Louis while crossin…
The north leg