We'll go find our own birds!

Mindo Travel Blog

Turquoise jay

Today is our last day at Bellavista so we have dragged ourselves out of bed for the 6:30am bird walk.  Apparently this is the best time of the day to see birds.  Well, the walk was bust.  We didn't see nothin'!  After growing frustrated, we left the guide a little early and walked back to the room.  On our way to the room we saw a group of Turquoise Jays chasing moths!

Then we ran into another guest who recommended we head over to the restaurant to look for birds.  The restaurant is pretty tall so its balcony puts you nearly level with the tree canopy.  We saw a ton of birds there!  We saw a female Trogon and a bunch of other birds that I can't remember the names of.  In the short amount of time, we walked around by ourselves we saw more birds than the hours of time we spent walking around with the guide.

Trogon
  I don't think that is any fault of the guide, I think we were simply lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

After breakfast, we headed out for a self-guided walk through the cloud forest.  The trail is set up for tourists with informational signs about the ecology of the cloud forest.  Along the way we spotted toucans hopping from branch to branch looking for food.

It was time to head back to Quito after lunch.  On our way back, we passed an area where a landslide had closed the road down to one lane.  A crew was in the process of stabilizing the slide with an excavator.  Apparently stabilizing the slide meant trundling rocks down on to the road so we had to sit for a while and watch as the excavator sent small boulders careening down the slope on to the asphalt.

Blue winged tanager
  At one point a guy on foot decided to risk it and he ran down the road through the area where the excavator was dropping rocks.  Luckily he made it without injury.  When he reached our side of the construction zone, he whipped a couple ice cream bars out of a duffle bag and began crying "Helados!"  The crazy fool was an ice cream salesman!

In Quito, we stayed at the Nu House hotel.  A super nice hotel that is unfortunately situated next to Plaza de Foch.  Plaza de Foch is happening bar scene where they like to blast music.  This week Quito is celebrating its founding.  This means the music in Plaza de Foch was turned all the way up to 11.  I didn't think I could do it but I found out that I can sleep with earplugs.

katephillipsslo says:
Great photos of the birdies! You got hitched! Cheers and Congrats! Good to hear from you, k
Posted on: Dec 09, 2008
Green and black fruiteater
Green and black fruiteater
Hummingbird
Hummingbird
Speckled hummingbird
Speckled hummingbird
Rachel geeked out to take some pic…
Rachel geeked out to take some pi…
Our room.