My Venetian Adventure

Venice Travel Blog

St. Mark's Basilica

I would wait until the train station opened, but it was also cold. I would go around the city, trying to figure out the vaporetto system, which was basically a bus system on water. There is not much to do at night, and with so much time to kill, I walked around the city, or tried to. It wasn't exactly fun, and not a good start to my Venice visit.

When it was daylight, and the hotels opening up, I would check into one of them. But the room was not ready, so I had to wait a little bit more. When it was ready, I went and took a much needed nap.

Later, I would go to St. Mark's Square, and walked around the area. There were a lot of pigeons there, as I've never seen so many. None would go on my arm.

I also visited Doge's Palace, which was a government building where Venice ruled during its glory days.

pigeons on St. Mark's Square (none would go on my arm)
I toured the palace, seeing the courtyards and various rooms with paintings. I did cross over the Bridge of Sighs, which was the last thing people saw when leaving Venice as they were taken to prison.

I felt so tired and had trouble staying awake, so I went back to the hotel for another nap. When I woke up, it was night time. I went to the St. Mark's Square, and went to a nearby restaurant for dinner. St. Mark's was very quiet, with no pigeons and few people.

The next day, I went to see St. Mark's Basilica, toured around the church, then the 3 museums within the place. I had to pay separate admission for all of them. The 3 included the Treasury, Golden Altarpiece, and San Marco Museum. I think they all worth checking out, if time permits.

I also went to the top of Campanile bell tower, which overlooks the city of Venice. After that, it was off to the island of Murano, which is well-known for glass-making. A bunch of glass shops (no surprise there), and I visited the Glass Museum, which had glass art and artifacts, in various shapes and colors.

As the day started to wind down, it was time for me to leave Venice, and head for Florence.

St. Marks Basilica
St. Mark's Basilica
pigeons on St. Marks Square (none…
pigeons on St. Mark's Square (non…
inside Doges Palace