EuropeItalyRome

Vatican to Venice

Rome Travel Blog

Trevi Fountain
I started off by visiting Trevi Fountain. It has been said that if you throw a coin into the fountain, it guarantees that you will return to Rome. I did exactly that, which was fun. Then I went to the nearby church, and looked around.

I hopped on the Metro, and went to the Vatican. With the way the ticket system works, where you would buy a ticket, but there is no admission-checking of ticket. People buy it in case someone is going from train to train for ticket inspection. Tickets have to be validated, and if caught without that, a huge fine will be imposed. At times, I would be tempted to get a free ride. I think I did it only once, but got nervous. So I would get one and have it validated, not taking chances.

I got to the Vatican, and walked to St.
Peter's Basilica
. I toured around the church, seeing the Pieta by Michelangelo, and the crypt downstairs, where St. Peter is believed to be buried. I thought about climbing to the Dome, but my feet were too tired.

I planned to visit the Vatican Museum, but I did not realize until it was too late, that it was closed on Sundays. Talk about poor planning. No Sistine Chapel.

I would go to another part of Rome, where I would visit the Chiesa di San Giovanni, which was a huge church. A lot of gold with a bunch of chapels, and a great place to rest and ponder the place. I also visited the Holy Stairs, where Jesus supposedly walked on, around the time of his crucifixion. That staircase can only be climbed by knees, pausing on every step and giving a short prayer. There was another staircase next to it, to climb up by feet, which is what I did.
Roman ruins

I would go back to the Colosseum area, and walk along Via dei Fori Imperiali, looking at ruins along the way. They would include Trajan's Forum and the Forum of Augustus. Then I went to the National Museum of Rome, which had a bunch of Roman and Greek art on display.

When the sun had set, I would leave Rome and head for Venice. During the journey, I would meet with a guy, who was spending some time in Italy. We talked for a bit, until the train got to Venice. The journey took about 5 hours, and took me to Mestre, which was outside the city.

I would take a shuttle bus, taking me to the city center. It was already past midnight, and all the hotels were closed. So I would spend the night outside, having to pull an all-nighter. It was freezing cold, so I could not sleep.
Rome