Roman Difficulties

Rome Travel Blog

me inside the Pantheon

I leave Siena, and it takes me a while to get back to Rome. I would not get to visit the Vatican Museum, since it was closed by the time I got there. My main issue will be getting a room.

I got to Termini station, and went to the same hostel as before. But it was completely booked. I tried a few other places, but no luck there. Then I ran into one of the hostel reps, who referred to me to Victoria's place. But she would not accept anyone staying for one night. So I would try out a few of the hotels in the Termini, and eventually I found one. I could not believe that this was considered off-season, yet it felt like it was summer, in terms of crowds and finding a room. I guess Italy is a popular spring break destination, but none of the guidebooks mentioned this at all.

Once I found a hotel, I would go to the Colosseum area, and walk around for a bit. Then I would go to the Pantheon, passing by more ruins along the way. Once I got there, I looked at the exterior and then went inside. A huge dome at the top, with light coming in. Very ahead of their time, which goes to show the Romans were geniuses.

As it turned out, the Pantheon was about to close up, because of Mass. So I had to leave. At least one thing went right. I got to see it before it closed.

Next, I went to the Spanish Steps, and lingered there for a bit. I noticed how crowded it was, again making it feel like high season. I did go inside the church at the top of the stairs.

Then I went to a place that had a ride stimulation of Rome, which I went on. It was near Trevi Fountain. It was a fun ride, and probably a good way to close out my trip.

Next day, I would take an early morning flight back home. Lessons to learn, is to make reservations ahead of time, and not decide at the last minute. But I would continue to take trips to Europe, as there is so much more to see on this continent.

photo by: vulindlela