Rainy Time In Florence

Florence Travel Blog

inside Palazzo Vecchio

I arrived in Florence the night before (March 6th), and went to a hostel, but surprised to learn it was completely booked. What? I thought this was off-season. So I walked around the city, looking for any hotel that has room. Eventually, I found one, called the Hotel Tina. It was kind of like a B&B, and was pretty nice. I was just glad to have a place to spend the night, after being homeless in Venice.

The next day, my full day in Florence. I did visit here back in 1993, but I could only remember seeing the famous David. I was hoping to see it again inside the Accademia, but the line was too long. So I followed the Renaissance Walk in my guidebook, taking me to various parts of the city.

copy of David
Unfortunately, it was raining all day, so I would be wet from all the touring, putting a bit of a damper.

I got to Giotto's Tower, and climbed to the top. Very difficult to climb for a few reasons. Obviously, a lot of stairs with no elevator, but also the stairway was very narrow, not to mention very uneven. It would be easy to trip and fall. But I made it to top, and got to see the city of Florence. Unfortunately, I left my camera behind, so hardly any pictures for this day.

I went back down, and got my camera from the hotel. Then, I continued walking around the city, until I got to the Palazzo Vecchio, the palace of the Medicis, and the loggia, which was full of statues. There was also a copy of David outside the palace. I went to the Uffizi courtyard, which was basically a Renaissance Hall of Fame, having statues of key figures of that era.
loggia

I got to tour the Uffizi Gallery, following a museum tour in my guidebook, which mainly took me through many Italian paintings, mostly Renaissance and some from the Middle Ages. At the corridor, I got a great view of the Arno River and the nice bridge that crosses it.

Next, was the Bargello, another art museum. This one had the various sculptures of David by various artists, like Donatello and Michelangelo. There were other things to see as well.

The following morning (March 8th), I got to the Accademia early, and was second in line. So I got in, and saw the original David, one of Michelangelo's famous works. Then I walked around the museum, seeing the other sculptures, some of which were not finished, along with paintings.

Next place: Pisa.