EuropeItalySiena

I Love Siena!

Siena Travel Blog

view of Siena

I would spend the entire day in Siena, a small town in Tuscany. I imagined this would be a picturesque, sleepy Italian town that I would read about or see on TV. Well, I would be in one for a change.

I start off at the Piazza del Campo, also known as Il Campo. The main square of Siena, dating back to the Middle Ages, and a nice place to relax and people-watch.

Next, I went to the Palazzo Pubblico, which was the town hall. Adjacent to it, was the Torre del Mangia, which was the clock tower. And yes, I did climb to the top, which has the same challenges as the other 2 that I have climbed by foot. But the rewards is great, seeing Siena and the surrounding Tuscan countryside.

I also went to the Civic Museum, housed inside the Palazzo Pubblico.

view of Siena
This place has various frescos on walls, and some paintings and artifacts. I was able to enjoy the place, even though there were school groups in the museum.

I would visit a bunch of cathedrals in the town. I did visit the Duomo, which had a painting on the floor and frescos around the cathedral. It was a huge place. I would also visit the nearby Baptistery.

Next, I would walk around town, until I got to the Sanctuary of Saint Catherine of Siena, having to follow signs to get there. This was the home of St. Catherine, which later became a sanctuary. Then I would visit the Basilica of San Domenico, making it there before it closed. This place had multiple chapels and altars.

After that, I went to the Branda Fountain, but hard to see, since it was night by then. So I went back to Il Campo and ate some dinner, and did some people-watching.

It was a great day to spend in a small town. Hard to describe the feeling, but I felt like I would be living in some kind of time warp, and getting the feel of the place as it was back then. Hearing a church bell ringing, just made the visit more authentic and memorable. So what if it is a bit touristy. It still manages to retain that charm.

The trip is coming towards the end, and I would have to return to Rome the next day.

Piazza del Campo