EuropeItalyRome

Arrived in Rome

Rome Travel Blog

Colosseum

I got into Rome in the morning. I took the train to the Termini, then went to the hostel. I would make reservation for the 1st night only, since I figure it was off-season.

After dropping my things off there, I went to the Colosseum. One of the stadiums in the ancient world. I toured around the place, as it is amazing to see how this place has set the standard for how stadiums would be built, like the ones in the US. This is where the Romans would see gladiators battle it out with animals and each other, and the audience decided the fate of the gladiator with a thumbs up or down. Probably where the idea of cheering and booing would come from. Very interesting to learn, since I am a sports fan from Philadelphia.

I went to the Roman Forum, and tried to tour, but the jet lag caught up to me. I was kind of sleepwalking to the subway station, until someone had to tell me how to use the vending machine, which woke me up. Then I went back to the Forum.

It was not easy touring around the Forum, because of the cobblestone, causing my feet to hurt immediately. I would look at the ruins, which included arches, temples, churches, and places where the politicians met. After that, I went to the nearby Palatine Hill, which was even bigger and more to cover. I got to the museum, but only saw it for a short time, since it was approaching closing time.

I headed back, and just relaxed the rest of the day. Next day, I would see more of Rome, then head to Venice by sunset.

inside Colosseum