AsiaJapanOsaka

Lost on a mountain in Japan aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Osaka Travel Blog

bamboo

Only had to work a couple of hours in the morning and then I was off to the nearest hiking trails a few stations up.Every morning when I go past Kawachi Iwafune station I see lots of people getting off to hike the mountains. i did some research on the internet and found they had three main hiking trails, one to mount Kono which has views all the way to Kobe and even as far as Akashi bridge so I decided on that hike.

Before stating i went to the nearest convenient store to get some food and some water. at the cash register I asked for a couple of pieces of chicken. The staff went and got them and then she handed them over I said in Japanese iranai (i don't need) thinking that they were going to give me a receipt and then I walked out, the staff looked at me strangely as well as some customers waiting in line.

I walked out the door thinking that was weired and walked about 100 metres up the street when I remembered that I hadn't paid for my food and drinks and I told them I don't need to pay in Japanese aaaaaaaaaaah so I quickly raced back to the shop, stormed through the door and apologised profusely, bowing like 10 times and making sure each bow was lower than the staff and then paid while sharing a laugh with the shopkeeper, sure I have to pay. I guess she'll go home and tell the story to her family tonight henna gaijin (strange foreigner).

I walked back to Kawachi mori station but I couldn't find any signs pointing towards the hiking trails there was nobody to ask, the place was like a ghost town,there wasn't a policemen in the police booth and there wasn't anybody in the electric goods shop and then I saw an old lady surely a local but they couldn't help me either.

shishikutsu temple
I walked down the stairs into the station, at first the station attendant wasn't at the wickets, what shall I do, do I give up before I've even started I think not, this time I said sumimasen ( excuse me) and the station attendant came out of his office and gave me directions.

From my map and following the station attendants directions I could have gone in a straight route following the road but I didn't think that would be very interesting. I would rather come back that way than go up so I thought I would cross through the mountain side. I started walking through a residential area, past some houses, a local temple, a primary school and then past some rice fieldsbut no signs, was I going in the right direction. I stopped to study the map again, I see the templemarked on it, so I think I'M right but just to make sure that I was I asked a lady that just happened to be walking past.

lantern

She said that I had made a mistake and the only way she knew was to follow the main road but she showed meon the map where I was , infact I was on the route to Kurondo pond. I thanked the lady and decided to hike this course seeing that I was already on it plus I could always come back to do the other one.

I turned left at the fork and slowly climbed the steep path that led up the mountain, first the track was surrounded by trees and then it slowly turned into a bamboo forest , suprisingly my calves were really feeling the strain from the extra pressure applied to them so I stoped to take a breath and take some photos of the bamboo.

The course finally flattened out and I came to a cement square that looked like it had been a building, some kind of ruins.

the hiking trail
It had a small sign written only in kanji, not my strongest point so I don't know what it was. Continuing on not far from here I came to shishikutsu temple, a small rustic temple with 2 lanterns lit, here I saw my first sign pointing the way towards Kurondo pond. The steps led away from the temple and up between two enormous rocks. I squeezed past them and ccntinued climbing the steps as I was walking I noticed a few graves spread out every 10-20 metres until it came to a small bamboo forest where there were another six graves.

I moved on quickly as these small graves in amonsgst the baboo was quite eerie. Icontiued walking following the signs and came across some more rocks, this time they had foot grooves in the rock and i climbed on top,they offered great views of the town below.

grave in bamboo forest
From here things turn bad I followed the path that the sign pointed to at a place where there were four trails aaaaaaaah. I walked for about 25 minutes when i noticed I hadn't seen any more signs, being alone in amountain that I didn't know, I was beginning to get worried. Why hadn't I left a trail of bread crumbs behind me so I would at least no the way back. I walked another 10 minutes and then came to a fork with the signs sougeno trail and yamagoeno trail no,no,no that can't be right where is the kurando pond trail the one I was following before.

I took the sougeno trail for about 10 minutes, still no signs for my trail so I walked back to the fork, then I took the yamagoeno trail which lead to a tiny pond with moldy green funghi floating on the water, just then my mobile phone went beep,beep,beep I looked to see that my batteries had gone flat.

What I thought lost on a mountain with no mobile phone, a little water and no food with it also being around 3.30, even if I had found the right trailI wouldn't finish it before it was dark. Anyway and what if those bodies rose from the grave and grabbed me and dragged me back to their graves and burried me alive. Things were running through my minds I wanted to see someone, anyone but there was nobody, I was left alone all by myself.

hummingbird50 says:
Hey at least your here to tell the story...great story! :)
Posted on: Feb 08, 2009
Librarytech says:
Hi Chris, well done for being featured! fancy walking out of the shop and not paying ;0) you know that is shoplifting... But it all makes for a great adventure. I really must come and visit soon all your adventures are making me want to be there right now.
Posted on: Feb 07, 2009
YantiSoeparno says:
Hi Chris, I think I don't have to ask whether you found the way or not at last. Cause if you didn't, it wouldn't be this funny yet adventurous blog ;D
Hahaha iranai to pay? You're really henna gaijin ;D