A Musical Mood

Colorado Springs Travel Blog

Whistling Dixie

Visual media is one of the easiest ways I can think of to create interest in an area--if you're good at it.  Even if you're not, you might be able to spark a little awe and wonder in what you're trying to get across.  But it often has poor results for really capturing the amazement you feel when you are standing, face to the sun after coming out of a cold, dark building acknowledging this unsung privledge.

Words can hopefully recreate that feeling of watchfulness as you let the snowflakes crest your head and eyelashes...listening to the stillness of everything that surrounds you.  Maybe even describe the icy splinters that riddle your nose as you brush away the chill. But even words can play the traitorous lover and leave you when you want them the most.

Prior to the Show

So I've been thinking about music.  Can a certain tune evoke the feeling of the day as you're making your evening commute?  How often have you felt as though it SHOULD be Friday even though it is clearly Thursday and at least 4 other co-workers confirm this feeling?  Or you complete your sister's sentences or have the same cravings as someone you haven't seen all day?  If the mind or pheromones or whatever IT is that creates that sense of connection without uttering a words can happen then why can't I, the author here, create a sense of commonality with the use of music??

Maybe this could be the start of a weekly posting by yours truly or maybe I'll tire of it after writing the first and only post...we'll see.  My idea is to describe the day in Colorado Springs using a few words to give you an idea where in the world I came up with THAT musical selection and a few auditory pieces that seem to fit it perfectly.

To begin, today.  It has already snowed here in the Springs and if I'm not playing in it then snow is absolutely useless to me.  I kind of hate the stuff and not being able to feel my digits...but that is for another day with different music.  Today was perfection.  Seventy-seven degrees F and sunny without haze or clouds.  Great for photos and even better for rolling down the windows, turning up the music and singing the best BGVs you can muster.  If you were me today you could be listening to:

Beck's 'Que Onda Guero'

K-os's 'Commandante'

Lily Allen's 'LDN'

Gipsy Kings' 'Djobi Djoba'

Beck, K-Os and G. Kings with their hispanic flavors seemed just right.  Can I sing most of those lyrics??  Uhh...no, but I can translate the bible verse in the beginning of Commandante if that counts for anything.  I think these songs captured the feeling of today.  Warmth, color, dry, vast....  The Allen was just because that song makes me happy.  I like to think that maybe the pimp and crack whore could actually be a dapper fella with his slapper.

globalodyssey says:
you can really write
Posted on: Apr 04, 2009
globalodyssey says:
have you read "the quiet child" ? peter hoeg
Posted on: Apr 04, 2009
goezi says:
That's some nice writin'. I'll wait for another page if you do end up tappin' one out.
Posted on: Oct 31, 2008