A visit to the Kenyan coast

Mombasa Travel Blog

Today has been a lazy day.  I got up, went to the airport with the rich folk to fly to Mombasa.  I arrived, haggled with the taxi touts or rather they surrounded me and I picked one who would accept my price.  I had a great taxi driver actually.  Really helpful, told me all about the history of Mombasa, where I could get a bus to Moshi, Tanzania.  Awesome.  Everything was going well until I arrived at my guesthouse.  Mombasa is extremely hot, I was sweltering, and all I wanted was a cold shower.  What did I get?  A town with a power cut which essentially meant I am unlucky to arrive today; I had no light or air-con in my expensive room and NO WATER.  The reception lady suggested they fill some buckets of water from somewhere and I can pour those over myself.  I was tempted, but luckily everything started working again about 6pm.

So far, what do I think of Mombasa?  It's well laid out, not so much traffic as Nairobi but a huge amount of guys wanting a rich white girlfriend or wife...'Hey baby come over here.  Do you want me to be your boyfriend?'.  I started out feeling a little threatened, and then I got used to it, now it's got to the point where I just shout at them for pestering me.  I've only been here for 4 hours.

I'm off to Malindi tomorrow.  Very excited to visit the Marine National Park and go snorkeling.  Then it's off to Lamu to ride little donkeys and Swahili villages.

photo by: easyjobrob