UAO begins

Nakuru Travel Blog

Well I've finally met my group and we're off to Uganda.  My roomie at Hotel Boulevard, Alice the kiwi, is lovely.  We've chatted loads.  I'm slowly but surely chatting to each person.  It seems the people I have the most in common with are those leaving the tour early either on our return to Nairobi or at Zanzibar; how unfortunate.

Lake Nakuru National Park.
Amazing.  We had lunch at the entrance and were fighting off monkies the whole time.  One decided to steal a corgette.  I still think they're cute...we shall see how long that lasts.  The evening of our arrival we saw a couple of lionesses lazing in the tall grasses.  A solitary white rhino grazing in a field.  Masses of buffalo and a few Zebra.  It was fun spotting the animals.  The unfortunate things though...which Alice was much disappointed about...Lake Nakuru is famous for it's flamingo population...of which we saw very few and those we did see were white because the algae they eat that makes them pink was obviously scarce.  Lame.  Masses of pelicans hanging around though.  The area around the lake stank.  It was like walking through a bird-poo filled cage.  Minging.  I was so glad to be wearing my hiking boots.
If that wasn't cool enough, the early game drive in the morning before breakfast was breath-taking.  First off, Leopards are rare.  They are similar to rhinos in that they are solitary animals and therefore rarely spotted on safari.  As we drove along, all sleepy faces, people napping on the seats, I said to Alice "I doubt we'll see any leopards this trip because they're so rare"..."stop the truck.  Stop the truck.  Buzz buzz!"  shouted our tour guide, Michelle.  A leopard was lazily sitting beside the safari truck path!  You could see every spot over its body.  It was amazing.  If that wasn't cool enough we got to see it stalking a couple of impalas...little shifty bum like house cats.  It was so cute you just wanted to cuddle it...and have your arms ripped off.  If that wasn't cool enough we were then given a tip-off by another driver about a lion kill up the road so we sped up towards the kill.  We didn't get to see them munching but we saw them strolling past.  3 lionesses and 5 cubs!  It was so cool but photos were difficult because they blended in so well with the tall yellow grasses.  And it that wasn't cool enough...as we went aound the corner of forest-like area there was a wide open plain filled with rhinos and buffalo.  The park only has 40 rhino, we saw 21 in total...some baby rhinos.  It was absolutely amazing.  I took masses of photos.  Some more of Zebra but only because they were backed by a beautiful sunrise.

The evening was filled with wine...and a mobile disco that another group of campers had set up.  We didn't join them but we listened to them while we slept.  Also, just to mention...wildlife at night, scary.  You can't see it but you can definately hear it.  There were 2 buffalo stampedes during the night.  During one of which I went off to pee in a bush and then heard a lot of animals running and something rustling in the bush...scared sh*tless.

Lake Nakuru National Park.

Nakuru