Random experiences

Arusha Travel Blog

Well so far, since my arrival in Arusha it's been eventful.  I arrived on a bus to be swarmed by touts.  I had to fight my way through shouting at them to leave my bag alone as they tried to be 'helpful'.  I ended up walking around town for about half an hour following the random directions of locals.  Never believe any directions you're given.  They don't know.  I ended up asking the first white girl I came to if she knew where to stay for cheap.  It all ended up working out well.  She offered to let me stay at hers for a couple of nights.  She's really nice.  She's called Elina, from Finland, and she's here to teach English at a deaf unit.  I met her class today.  It was great.  I even taught the English sign-language alphabet to them...well my name.  And told them about my planned trip.  They're good kids.  They gave me a shortened hand gesture to say my name because it was so long.  I wasn't sure if I'd like Arusha but this is probably one of the best normal day to day times I've had so far.  I'm really getting an insight into local life.  It's awesome.

On my last evening in Lushoto I went with the Canadian girl - Anna - to a local elderly mans house for tea.  He put on a big spread; I met his brother and grandchildren; and had very interesting conversations about Tamnzania's political situation and their health service.  I really felt like I was getting the African experience I've always dreamed of.

photo by: Mikie