Leaving Western Cape

Fish Hoek Travel Blog

And so my boyfriend departed.

I visited Prison Island.  I wasn't that impressed with the tour of the island, it was quick and didn't really go into any detail.  There wasn't anything to read about the details either.  The tour of the actual prison was better and really made me want to read Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom (which I did and it's brilliantly written, I very much recommend it).

The next day I made a plan.  I really wanted to see Cape Point.  I got up really early, traveled on the train in 3rd class, much to the surprise of the lady dispensing tickets, to Simon's Town.  It's a sleepy but welcoming sea-side town with nice little cafes.  I then proceeded to hire a bike from my hostel and cycle in the rain 25k to Cape Point.  Bearing in mind that I'm not that comfortable on bikes anyway let alone in the rain, on road, for a long distance up and over hills.  I did it, it almost killed me but I did it.  The cycle was worth it.  The views were amazing along the coast, my boyfriend would have loved it if he hadn't have been so stubborn when I suggested it.  I wouldn't say Cape Point was that amazing unless you went down onto the beach there.  The waves are so big and the current so intense that swimming is banned.  It was so relaxing listening to the sound of the destructive waves crash on the shore, nobody else around, completely alone with yourself and and your thoughts...something I didn't get much of while I was traveling.  The cycle back was easier luckily, I'd tackled all the hills on the way there so it was all downhill smooth sailing.  I felt free as a bird flying down those roads.  I stopped off quickly to have a quick look at the penguins on the way back.  So cute.  I really wanted to pet them but they kept running away.  Stupid penguins.  Luckily, I'd already had the chance to stand on a rock in the sea with them when my boyfriend was over.  Very cool.  Ha...in your face penguins.

Fish Hoek