Bush Camping alongside the Okavango Delta

Okavango Delta Travel Blog

Amazing!  Only issue...yes, those stupid ants.  We managed to put up our tent right on an ants nest again.  Luckily we've got a better tent now so hopefully the ant-infested nightmares will stop soon.  But, these ants were a little more brave than the inland ants;  they decided to climb up your legs as you stood opening up the tent.  Drove me crazy...especially when I had to bush-pee (in a freshly dug hole) in the middle of the night with a torch that could barely even hold a glow.
    I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know I am now an amazing poler.  I decided to take my poler's mokoro (dug-out canoe) out for a spin in the delta to the swimming area.  After 10mins of trying to turn it around, and my passenger (poler) pissing himself laughing inbetween the panic when I lost my balance a little, I actually got the hang of it, you could even say I was awesome.  I think I've found my new career path.
    Swimming in the delta was cool.  There were loads of little fishies all around.  I kept catching them in my hands and watching them head-butt my fingers.  Now I think about it that was actually quite a cruel game I was playing.  Also, some genius decied to cover themselves in the mud and sand at the bottom of the delta because it looks a bit like the mud at the Dead Sea.  Yes, everyone followed suit and thn I got caught up in the peer-pressure.  Luckily there are no photos, I kindly obliged to be the photographer for that event.  Suzie covered herself completely, she looked like a black woman ot was funny.  What was even funnier was the group of polers faces when they saw a group of mazungus covered in mud.  Yeah, I think they were a little scared by the craziness.
    In the evening I got to go on a little sunset cruise to a hippo hang-out...well it would have been if there were hippos there.  Insead it was an empty space of water.  On our way back we raced against a storm cloud.  That was great fun.  I really did feel like I was Indiana Jones...and so I filmed the race back all the while singing the tune.  As soon as we reached camp the heavens opened...almost monsoon weather.  After a nap during the monsoon the polers had a little sing-song and dance.  That was cool...until we had to repay them with our own musical talents.  Eei-eei-O, various national anthems and the Hokey Kokey were on the agenda for that night.  Oh their stunned silence after each song said it all...they were amazed they we hadn't entered Pop Idol I'm sure.  We also played a game of 'Chief'.  Basically you all have to choose an animal, the chief chooses one, that animal then has to say the name of another animal present, that animal then has to wait for the chief to say their animal name, and so the process continues at lightening speed (I was last to pick and left with Hyrax, which actually played in my favour because nobody could remember what I was so I stayed in until the very end of each game...but I didn't win because I'm rubbish).
In the morning we got a safari walk around the island in the delta.  The most we saw was a sleeping Puff Adder (that was actually quite cool watching it start to come out of its coma as the sun warmed the earth), and a dead fish that had been dropped by a bird at some point.  Well at least we got a bit of exercise.
Okavango Delta