3 days of extreme sports and partying in Uganda

Jinja Travel Blog

Day 1
We visit the equator on the way to Uganda.  We got a cool demonstration of the water swirling in various directions depending on which side of the sign you stood.  When at the sign it didn't swirl at all.  Cool eh?
We arrrive in Jinja. Visa isn't working so any cards with a connection to Vusa are f**ked...no money for me then. Luckily most of things I had planned run on US dollars so I was good to go for a couple of days. Even though I was ok, when you're someone who likes to have everything they need organised and sorted ready to go it's very difficult not to panic. So by now I have no local currency, my camera battery is dead and I can't find the replacement...but it gets worse. The campsite is great, with a really nice bar and village nearby. The bar. Oh my god...Danielle is a bad influence. As my tent buddy I decided to stay out and chat long into the night. Of course I kept buying beers to accompany my stay. By the time we left, about 3am, I was wasted. I konked out in the tent fully clothed. I woke a little later in the night feeling really ill but I could get out and sort myself out no worries. As I struggled with what I thought to be the door, trying to find the zips I started to panic, frantiacally feeling my way around the tent. Time was running out. 'Where are the f**king zips!' I kept shouting, in a whisper to not wake up Danielle (later fidning out she was completely oblivious anyway as she had also konked out). Oh O. Yep, I threw up in the tent. Luckily it was all liquid and I managed to miss everything important so not much mess otherwise that would have been gross. I fianlly found the door over the otherside of the tent...'doh' and rushed out. I was empty...'damnit'. I went back in and started cleaning with baby wipes in the pitch darkness and absolutely wasted; then konked out again straight after.

Day 2
The tent smelt. Oh O. And I'd slept through my alarm, just to wake up 15mins before I had to leave for the Soft Power Project...painting schools. No time to clean...'that is going to be so gross sitting there in the sun, heating up all through the day. Just don't think about it'.  I did not feel like painting.  The project was cool though.  We visited the kindergarden and played with the kids for about an hour.  Sticking stickers on their faces (at their request).  They sang songs for us.  Was cool.  We later visited the adult education centre.  That was really interesting, especially as I used to work in that department in Ofsted.  There were women sitting on the floor in a group making clothes out of paper; and painting on the wall teaching about signs of dehydration and malnutrition in babies, safe sex and AIDS/HIV.  Hard core.  We then painted the nearby school and received a carb-full lunch.  It was yummy.
Then an early night for me...after I'd cleaned the tent until it no longer smelt anyway.

Day 3
Everyone else decided to go rafting.  I watched a video of the previous group.  That did not look fun unless I had my boyfriend to hold my hand.  So I decided to go bungey jumping instead.  That was cool but not as intense as I expected.  I felt like a bird with a huge elastic band tied to my legs on my jump, completely relaxed.  It was the waiting on the edge that was scariest.  My toes curling over the edge for dear life as the instructed explained I needed to go into a diving position on my way down.  I failed to mention I had never dived so had no idea what that position was.  So I just made that bit up on my way down.
Later I went for a sunset kayak trip.  Now that was cool.  Free drinks and a beautiful sunset from the centre of Lake Victoria.  Amazing.  I made it back in time to party with the rafters.  A few drinks later and I was playing drinking games...curtesy of Danielle...and dancing on tables to Shakira as a forfeit for losing the game.  And I still made it to bed early.

Day 1
We make our first stop at the equator sign and watch a demonstration from a local about the direction of water flow.  It was actually amazing...the water actually swirls in the opposite direction only a step past the sign.  Directly at the sign (on the equator) the water doesn't swirl at all.
We arrrive in Jinja.  Visa isn't working so any cards with a connection to Visa are f**ked...no money for me then.  Luckily most of things I had planned run on US dollars so I was good to go for a couple of days.  Even though I was ok, when you're someone who likes to have everything they need organised and sorted ready to go it's very difficult not to panic.  So by now I have no local currency, my camera battery is dead and I can't find the replacement...but it gets worse.  The campsite is great, with a really nice bar and village nearby.  The bar.  Oh my god...Danielle is a bad influence.  As my tent buddy I decided to stay out and chat long into the night.  Of course I kept buying beers to accompany my stay.  By the time we left, about 3am, I was wasted.  I konked out in the tent fully clothed.  I woke a little later in the night feeling really ill but I could get out and sort myself out no worries.  As I struggled with what I thought to be the door, trying to find the zips I started to panic, frantiacally feeling my way around the tent.  Time was running out.  'Where are the f**king zips!' I kept shouting, in a whisper to not wake up Danielle (later fidning out she was completely oblivious anyway as she had also konked out).  Oh O.  Yep, I threw up in the tent.  Luckily it was all liquid and I managed to miss everything important so not much mess otherwise that would have been gross.  I fianlly found the door over the otherside of the tent...'doh' and rushed out.  I was empty...'damnit'.  I went back in and started cleaning with baby wipes in the pitch darkness and absolutely wasted; then konked out again straight after.

Day 2
The tent smelt.  Oh O.  And I'd slept through my alarm, just to wake up 15mins before I had to leave for the Soft Power Project...painting schools.  No time to clean...'that is going to be so gross sitting there in the sun, heating up all through the day.  Just don't think about it'.  I did not feel like painting.  Once we got there though, and I'd downed a load of water I wasn't too bad.  We met up with the children at the kindergarden which was cool.  They sang songs for us and we played with stickers for about an hour.  The adult education centre was interesting, especially since I used to work in that department in Ofsted.  There were women sitting together on the floor constructing clothes out of paper; paintings on the wall teaching signs of dehydration and malnutrition in babies, safe sex and about AIDS/HIV.  After painting the walls of a nearby school we got a hearty carb-full lunch.  It was yummy.  I am eating masses and masses of food at the moment.  I am officially the garbage bin of the group.  They now force feed me if there are any left-overs.
Tent cleaning time.  It took a good half-hour but it spelt ok by the end.  Dinner then bed for me.  I was knackered.

Day 3
Everyone in the group had more or less decided to go rafting.  I watched the video of previous groups.  No way in hell.  I would be too scared the whole time.  I needed my boyfriend to hold my hand.  So I decided to go bungey jumping instead.  It was cool.  Not quite as thrilling as I thought but cool all the same.  The scariest part was standing on the edge with only my toes curling over the edge, holding on for dear life.  The guy was explaining how I just dive off as if into the water.  I failed to mention to him that I'd never actually dived before so had no idea what I was supposed to do.  I just jumped off when he couted to 3, no hesitation, and then kind of threw my arms together...when I remembered half-way down.  I felt so relaxed as soon as I dived off.  Like a bird...with a huge elastic band tied to my legs.
Later I went for a relaxing sunset kayak on Lake Victoria with a few people.  Free drinks and a nice sunset, bats flying overhead.  Now that was more my style.  That was a good evening.
Back to the bar.  A few more drinks later and they had me doing drinking games...or rather Danielle had me doing drinking games, and dancing on the table to Shakira as a forfeit for losing the game.  I had a great time...and I managed to get to bed early.

Jinja