3 Weeks Submerged in South African City Life

Cape Town Travel Blog

And so...my 3 month trip is over....what an awesome relief.   Freeeeedom.

The plan:

1. Sight-see Cape Town to the death

In week one I managed to squeeze in the District 6 Museum, a Township Tour, the Slavery Museum, The Holocaust Museum, a pedicure and waxing, Kloofing in the Crystal Pools, Camp's Bay, the castle, and a lot of sleeping.  It was so great to be able to organise my time as I wanted.

The highlights had to be...

The enthusiasm of the guide on the township tour, I learnt so much from him, when I finally go round to visiting the District 6 Museum I found I already knew most of the history of the effects of the apartheid on people in Cape Town and understood the pains of the people as much as an outsider possibly can.

The special display in the Slavery Museum about Steven Biko was great.  I learnt so much about the history of the struggle against the apartheid.  It made me really want to visit the famous Prison Island to find out more.  I didn't learn much more about slavery than I already knew from school apart from the details of slavery in South Africa.  They never tell you at school about the fact that white South Africans also invested in the slave trade...to the point where once it was abolished in England some slaves were transported to South Africa to continue rather than experience freedom.  Also, South Africa had a plan.  When the slavery industry was drying up and it became their turn to abolish slavery they agreed; but with conditions attached.  Slaves would technically 'free' but would be expected to work an extra 4 years to 'wind down' the reliance on them before they actually experienced freedom in its true form (as true as it could be).  I think they may have been paid a pittance to compensate for this 4 years embargo on their freedom.

The Halocaust Museum I didn't expect much of but was plesantly surprised.  The tour guide made it, she was a Jewish survisor of WWII and had so many personal stories even though she was very young at the time.  I would definately reccommend this museum, however depressing it may be, it's well worth it for the insight into personal experience you get.

The Kloofing was amazing, it was a beautiful day, the pools were clear and freezing cold, the heights got progressively scary.  I managed to get up to 18m when my eye felt like it was going to pop as I hit the water in my own kloofing fashion (not quite as we were told in the introductory safety talk); but I tried to force them to let me jump the 21m platform after but it turns out that the eye popping situation didn't quite fill them with confidence.

Eating sushi for the first time in 3 months followed by proper ice-cream was a little bit like heaven in Camp's Bay.  The little fishies swimming around my feet when I dipped them in the water was also very cool.  'Dipped' being the operative word in that sentence, it was like ice-water.  I submerged my body once until I couldn't feel the pain anymore...because my nervous system was screaming in shock.  I then sat on one of the small rock formations to warm up and watched a guy run the length of the beach and them wade through the ice-water for 10mins (I timed him).  I couldn't help but stare...half in shock and half in anticipation for my non-existence First Aid skills (scream until someone comes to help) may be required.

Cape Town