San Diego 2003 - Animals and Hostel

San Diego Travel Blog

in Balboa Park

It was spring break where I worked at, and I decided to visit San Diego. Never been there before, and I would only have about 4 days of travel. I visited from March 13th to the 16th, which was part of spring break, where I worked. And things were better in my life than the last time I traveled.

As the plane was about to land in San Diego, I noticed how close it was flying near some buildings. That was kind of scary. I arrived, and would not have a car for the 1st 2 days of the trip. So I took a bus, which was not far at all, from downtown.

I would stay in a hostel for the very first time. I finally did it, after reading about it for a long time, and considered it before.

at panda exhibit in zoo
And turned out to be an interesting experience. I would only stay for 1 night, before moving on to a hotel. I was not used to the idea of the bathroom down the hall, basically reminding me of the days of staying in a college dorm. And sharing a room with a bunch of total strangers. But most of them were good people to talk to.

First place to visit, was Balboa Park. I walked there from the hostel, which was farther than I thought, as I was sweating a lot. Balboa Park has a lot of buildings, making it feel like I am in Latin America. I did not stay long, as I went to the San Diego Historical Society Museum, which was not a city history museum. Instead, it showcased on how San Diego is a popular place for movies. There were other museums, but I did not have time for them.

I would meet up with Maria, who took me to Old Town, which was an old Anglo settlement.
in Wild Animal Park
We went to a Mexican restaurant, where I got my first true taste of Mexican food. Up until then, my exposure to this type of food, was the fast food kind. I can say the food in Old Town, tasted so much better. After the meal, we just looked at some shops, and I tried out some rabbit ears.

I got to visit the 2 animals parks: the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. One day for each, with the zoo being the first one of the two. This was where I got to see pandas and koalas, along with the other animals. When the zoo opened, I made a mad dash to the panda, before it got crowded. I got this advice from someone, but can't remember who. Well, it paid off, because later on in the day, there was a long line. I was not able to see everything, as the place is huge!

The second was Wild Animal Park, where animals are more free to roam, as if they are in their natural habitat.
by the Pacific Ocean
Unfortunately for me, it rained very badly that day. But I still walked around the park, seeing the animals along the way, some really close. There were a lot to see, but the rain made it very difficult, as I got really soaked. I've been told that San Diego only has 5 to 6 rainy days. So why one of them have to be during the time I am there? Just really sucks!

I did make stop to meet up with some people, and we all ate dinner at an authentic Mexican restaurant. Then I did stay at their place. I know before, that I would never do this again, but someone insisted that I stay with them, and it was just for one night. It worked out well this time.

There were more sights that I wanted to see, but unfortunately, I did not have enough time, and could not take too much time off work. Maybe another time. And hope that time, it does not rain at all.

Zagnut66 says:
The rain likes to follow me on travels too.
Posted on: Jul 31, 2013