Pittsburgh 2001 - Return to the Steel City

Pittsburgh Travel Blog

at the top

After losing my job, I decided to make a return trip to Pittsburgh. Basically, it was to see the people that I met before, plus see some of the sites that I did not see the first time around.

I would take a Greyhound bus to Pittsburgh, which was the start of a lengthy trip. First to Pittsburgh, then later to Chicago. It was about an 8-hour bus ride, as it made some stops along the way. Once I got there, I met up with some friends, and we just hung out for the rest of the night.

I would go up the other incline, that was further away from the Golden Triangle, which was the Monongahela Incline. This also took me to the Mt. Washington, where there was a town. I walked around that town, and ate lunch there.

going by PNC Park
A quiet neighborhood. I also got a look of the city from above, but the view is not as good as from the other incline.

At the bottom of the incline, is Station Square, a shopping and entertainment complex. Considered a historic landmark. I went inside, and browsed around, and played some games there. Also, this is where one can take a riverboat tour aboard the Gateway Clipper.

And I did take the Gateway Clipper tour, and it was a lot of fun. Basically, a tour of Pittsburgh and the various attractions and landmarks around the city. It would pass by places like PNC Park and Heinz Field, which replaced Three Rivers Stadium. Some rubble from the old stadium was still there at the time. It's sad to see the stadiums here already built and in use, while politics was stalling the ones in Philly, even though both cities received state money at the same time.
But I digress!

I always enjoy visiting the city history museum, which is the Heinz History Center. Actually, I think it has a longer name, but I don't remember the name at the moment. Anyway, it chronicles the history of Pittsburgh from the beginning to the present day. From the days of being a fort during the French and Indian War to when the steel industry helped the city prosper, until around the present day.

I also got to visit Kennywood Park, an amusement park located outside the city. This place was over 100 years old. I went only on a few rides, but one of them, I believe, would make me sick for the rest of the trip. I'm not kidding. All of because people that I was with, goaded me into riding Music Express, which is that ride that spins forward and backward really fast.
with some friends
Afterwards, I did not go on any more rides. I don't know what it is, but amusement parks are not really my thing, outside of Disney World.

I would visit the Golden Triangle again, and tried to visit the Fort Pitt Blockhouse. But never got around to it. Maybe next time!

My visit would be for around 5 days, but most of them would spread out, and hanging with friends, and getting involved in different activities. It was fun time, although I would get sick at the start, and it would only get worse. Being sick while traveling really sucks!

I would make a return visit to Pittsburgh, as I was returning from Chicago, mainly due to an airline mixup.

Pittsburgh