Pittsburgh 1998 - First Time In Western Half

Pittsburgh Travel Blog

by the river

Coming off my first solo trip to New Orleans, I decided to visit Pittsburgh. As before, I made arrangements with some people, as I would be staying at their place. I would be there from May 13th to the 17th.

I've lived in Pennsylvania my whole life, but never been to the western half of the state. I think the farthest west that I've gotten, was to Harrisburg. And that was for an 8th grade field trip, in 1990.

Instead of flying, I would take the Greyhound bus to get there, since it was the much cheaper option. I left Philly in the morning, and would arrive in Pittsburgh in the late afternoon. Once I arrived, I got picked up by Bill, who then gave me a ride to church.

by the river, across from downtown
There, I would meet up with more people.

I stayed with a bunch of people, who were living near the campus of University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) and Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in the Oakland area. Most of these guys had just graduated from college. They helped me out, and gave me some tips.

I went to downtown, and cross one of the many bridges this city has. I walked along one of the rivers, seeing Three Rivers Stadium, the home of the Pirates and Steelers. I know with one of the guys that I met at church, the 1992 NLCS is still a sore spot for him. Anyway, I passed by the stadium, as I was heading to the Carnegie Science Center. I heard great things about it, but after seeing it, it was basically no different than the Franklin Institute back in Philly. It's not bad, but not really worth my time.
at the friend's place

I also went to the Point State Park, which is a park where you can see the 3 rivers meet, which is how the stadium got its name. It was where the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers merge and form the Ohio River. Also on Point State Park, I went to the Fort Pitt Museum, which was about the French and Indian War.

I also looked around the campuses in Oakland. I got to walk around the Cathedral of Learning, which had classrooms with various styles from around the world. And visited the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum, a military museum. The Oakland area is where I would meet up with some friends, who were playing some volleyball at the time.

I did end up tagging along with David, who I met at church when I arrived into town, and other guys, as we went to his parents' place near the town of Washington.
at Point State Park
It was in the countryside, which looked like the middle of nowhere. We were treated with a nice dinner and great hospitality by his parents. Then we watched the final episode of "Seinfeld", which recorded on videotape.

Afterwards, I sat by the swimming pool, along with David and another guy, Jim, and we all gazed at the stars. We ended up sleeping outside. I think this was my first time ever doing that. It was hard to sleep, as the chair was uncomfortable, and it was cold. The following day, we all went to help Bill (from earlier), to help his parents move. I did not know this was happening, and ended up not having a choice in the matter. I helped out, but oh man, was it tough. It was very hot and humid, and I was wearing black jeans.

I got back to the place in Pittsburgh, and wanted to take a nap. But it was very short, as one of the guys, had family coming over. I was so tired, but I ended up being part of a game at a bachelor party, then we all went out to Point State Park, then a ride up on one of the inclines. From there, we got nice views of downtown at night. Unfortunately, it was getting harder for me to stay awake, and I think I fell asleep once. Not fun at all.

The next day, I would hang out and attend church, then it was time to return home. It was a fun and interesting trip, getting to see the other half of Pennsylvania. I took the bus back, and arrived in Philly at night.

at the friends place