New Orleans 1999 - It's Not the Heat, It's the Stupidity!

New Orleans Travel Blog

in the French Quarter

My second visit to New Orleans, and I would visit from July 22nd to 28th. I got to see a lot more of the city. And ended up staying with some of the same people from before, who lived in Uptown and only a block away from the streetcar line.

This was the worst time of year to go, as it is very hot and humid. Sometimes, it would rain. I heard that there were t-shirts that had the saying "It's not the heat, it's the stupidity", which stems from locals getting tired of tourists complaining about the weather. I asked around about where they would see this, and they told me, it was at some shop on Bourbon Street. Never really got around to finding it though, but still, I found it funny, even if I am guilty of complaining about the same thing.

in Lafayette Cemetery #1 (not sure where the hat came from)

I got to see more of the French Quarter, and did not realize how many interesting museums there were to visit. There was one on Mardi Gras, another on Jazz Fest, and another on the history of Louisiana. I can't recall the exact names of these places, off the top of my head. But I do recall enjoying them, and a nice way to cool off from the intense heat outside. There was also a voodoo museum, which tells what voodoo is really about, and how it's not really used for evil. And a pharmacy museum, showcasing medicine from the 1800's.

I did take a guided tour, mainly to see St. Louis Cemetery #1. Can't remember the name of the company or tour guide, but he was entertaining. He told the story of Uncle Charlie, and how it was impossible to bury him. That was due to New Orleans being below sea level.
on a ferry across the river
So when it rained, Uncle Charlie would be flowing around town, or more like his rotten corpse. This was the main reason why above-ground cemeteries were built. Also, I took the guided tour, because I heard it was very unsafe to tour the cemeteries, even in broad daylight.

So I got to see St. Louis Cemetery #1, which has the tomb of the voodoo queen herself, Marie Laveau. There were a lot of markings on it, and even a game board as offering.

I did ride the St. Charles streetcar, riding from the French Quarter to Uptown. And did walk around the Garden District, which is where Lafayette Cemetery was located. This one is more wide open than St. Louis Cemetery. And apparently, more safer, but still, I took a guided tour for this one as well.

I did ride the ferry across the Mississippi River, and walked around Algers Point, which was a quiet neighborhood.
Louisiana Superdome
It seems like worlds away, from the hustle and bustle of New Orleans.

I did take a tour of the Superdome, the home of the Saints. This was the first indoor stadium that I've been in, and air-conditioned. A good thing in the early part of the football season. The tour guide was very hopeful for the Saints, after the team drafted Ricky Williams, which the team gave away all those draft picks.

Of course, no visit to the Big Easy would be complete, without eating a beignet. Oh man, those things are so good! I even bought a bunch of them, to take back home, and give out to people at church.

I did have a good time, seeing a lot more, even if I did get some mosquito bites. But without a car, I could not cross the longest bridge in the world, over Lake Pontchartrain. Maybe next time!

WalterC says:
Yeah, I liked the place, and would probably given it a favorable review. Next time!
Posted on: Dec 22, 2015
Zagnut66 says:
The pharmacy museum was surprisingly good, I spent over an hour inside looking at the creepy old medical devices. I didn't take any photos since that was before digital cameras.
Posted on: Dec 21, 2015
in the French Quarter
in Lafayette Cemetery #1 (not sure…
in Lafayette Cemetery #1 (not sur…