Montreal 2000 - Expired Passport

Montreal Travel Blog

in Vieux-Montreal

This was the first solo trip that I would take, outside of the US. Like previous trips, I decided to visit Montreal, to see the city, and meet up with people that I knew (sounding cliche, I know). I would visit from May 9th to 16th.

This was my second visit. My first time was in 1990, when I went with my mom and sister on a bus tour. It was a lot of fun. I even remember stopping by Lake George along the way, in Upstate New York.

This time, I would take Greyhound, back and forth, during the overnight both times. And would do it, with an expired passport. I never knew it expired until it was too late, so I had to cross my fingers. But somehow, the Greyhound agent allowed me to board, and again, allowed to cross the border into Canada.

on top of church tower
I could not believe it myself, but grateful that I was not turned back.

I arrived into Montreal in the morning, and oh man, was it cold. I only packed one sweater, and the rest being all t-shirts. So I was not ready for this weather at all. And the first day, it did rain. That day, I was accompanied by Bruno, who showed me around Vieux-Montreal, the oldest part of the city. It looked very European.

Walking around Vieuz-Montreal, it felt like I was visiting an old European town. I did get to visit the Pointe-a-Calliere, which is the archaeology museum. Plus visited a bunch of cathedrals and even climbed one of the bell towers, for a nice view of the Vieux-Montreal area. And visited a few other museums.

I did get to walk around the Underground City, and considered taking a tour of the Molson Centre, the home of the Canadiens.
with a group of friends
But I did not have the time for it. Speaking of which, I asked one guy  who the main rivals of the Canadiens are, and much to my surprise, he said the Toronto Maple Leafs and Colorado Avalanche (from their days as the Quebec Nordiques), and not the Boston Bruins. I always thought the Bruins were the main rival, as the games between the 2 teams tends to get very nasty. And he tried to annoy me, as he jumped on the Devils bandwagon, as he kept boasting about Martin Brodeur and Claude Lemieux, as he knew I am a Flyers fan.

There was one regret I would have. And that would be missing out on the chance to see an Expos game at Olympic Stadium. They were playing the Phillies, and I wanted to see a Phillies away game. It did not happen, due to the person that I was with, did not like baseball at time.
at a park in downtown
Instead, we ended up seeing a movie.

I did go up the tower that stuck out of Olympic Stadium, and get some nice views of the city. Plus I got to walk around the Latin Quarter, and the Underground City as well. While French is the main language in Montreal, I managed fine with only English. Besides, I think the locals assume that I knew neither language, based on my Asian appearance.

I did get to try some poutine, which was french fries with cheese and gravy. It's a Quebec speciality, and tasted so good! It was one of the last things I did on the trip, which was a blast. I took an overnight bus back to Philly, and once again, was able to cross the border with an expired passport, getting back into the US.

A fun trip, and hope to return someday. And with a passport that is not expired. :)

Zagnut66 says:
Walter, I visited Montreal in August 2000 for a quick weekend trip. We also went to the top of the Olympic Stadium tower. A cool city, but very aggressive panhandlers.
Posted on: Jul 26, 2013