Los Angeles 1999 - Spring Break, Part 2

Los Angeles Travel Blog

in front of the Chinese Mann Theater

Arriving from San Francisco, I would arrive into Los Angeles, just when it stopped raining. This was my second visit, the first being in 1984, when I went with my family, as my parents were visiting old friends. In this trip, I was there from March 9 to March 13, 1999. Again, it was to check out some graduate schools.

This portion of the trip did not get off to a good start. This was the first time I had a credit card, which was a very low limit. When trying to rent a car, my card was declined, because of going over my credit limit. So I had to call my parents, to use Western Union to wire the money. I was able to pay most of the debt off, but that only bought time for half of the trip.

at a movie theater
So a few days later, they had to mail over another money order, to help out. You could say, I was way over my head on this, and a huge learning experience. This was the first time I ever rented a car.

The first area to see was downtown, as I drove there from the airport. I noticed how quiet it was, even on a weekday. I walked around for a bit, for a quick tour. I noticed when crossing over one freeway, there was traffic in one direction. When crossing back, it was traffic the other direction. That was interesting to see. I would stop by Olvera Street, but did not have time to linger. I hoped that I would come back to it later.

I would finally get to see Hollywood, seeing the sign for the first time. I tried to drive up to it, but it was closed off.
making handprint
And visit the Hollywood Wax Museum and the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum. Plus seeing the Hollywood Walk of Fame, along with the Chinese Mann's Theatre, with all the prints from various celebrities. I did stop by the Hollywood Bowl, but did not stay long, as I had to meet up with some friends.

Half of this trip was spent on meeting up with people that I met back in Philly, as we were part of this group. I even stayed at one of their places, on Ellendale Place on the campus of University of Southern California (more known as USC). These people lived all over the city, and some just outside of it. That meant driving a lot! That did take away time from sightseeing. I even went outside the city, to Cal Poly.

I did drive on Wilshire Boulevard, stopping by the Farmer's Market and MacArthur Park. And later, I would see Koreatown, the largest Korean community outside of Korea, which is actually on Olympic Blvd.
by the Pacific Ocean
I can remember this was where my parents lived, when they first moved to the US, and looks like it has made a recovery after the 1992 riots.

I did get lost when trying to exit the freeway to avoid traffic. I ended up in South Central LA, as I did see the Great Western Forum, home of the Lakers and Kings. I got on Vermont Ave, and was able to find my way back.

I did get a glimpse of the Beverly Hills and Century City area. Then took a drive on Sunset Boulevard, a street that I remember from the video game, Rad Racer on Nintendo. Driving from Hollywood, I went all the way to Santa Monica. I spent a little time there in the daytime, seeing the Pacific Ocean for the first time, then went to Palisades Park, and saw the Santa Monica Pier. I even used one of those restrooms with no roof! I would come back to it, on a Saturday night, with some friends, as we walked along the Third Street Promenade.
It was fun!

I did take a detour to Orange County, but that turned out to be a mistake, looking back. I was suppose to meet up with another person, but that person just did not seem interested at all. I should have learned, not to waste time with people like them, as it ends up hurting me a lot more than that person.

From Orange County, I drove back to LAX at night. And made it to the airport on time, taking an overnight flight back to Philly. Overall, it was a fun trip, even with the major bumps that I had to deal with. Like with San Francisco, I hoped to make a return trip to LA, in the near future.

cotton_foam says:
I hope to meet up with you in San Francisco whenever that be...this time we should spend more time together and Ed and I will bring our two children,too! so you better let us know ok?!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2013
in front of the Chinese Mann Theat…
in front of the Chinese Mann Thea…
in Santa Monica