Greece 1994 - Summer Before College

Greece Travel Blog

at the ruins

After the past 2 summers visiting a country in Europe, it was decided that this summer, we would visit Greece. I would be going with my sister and mom, along with my mom's friend and her daughter. This was the summer after I graduated from high school.

So we arrived into Athens, and went driectly to the hotel, to rest, after a long plane ride. And it rained that day, so we did not do anything. The next day, we would join a tour bus group.

This tour group would be taking us to sites on the Peloponnese Peninsula. We would visit Delphi, Olympia, and Mycenae, and passed through Sparta. I always remember learning about these places in social studies back in 7th grade, and used to have a huge interest in Greek mythology, even if I did not like the teacher, who was a horrible you-know-what.

But I digress!

Unfortunately, I did have major motion sickness, so bad that I could not even move around much. I ended up missing out on seeing The Lion's Gate. The bus ride is just no fun at all. And it did get tiring getting from one spot to another, just like that. The times I did enjoy, were when we would venture on our own, in whatever town we were in, and seeing cats.

Most memorable highlight for me, was running at the original Olympic Stadium, from the original starting line. We returned to Athens after the tour bus ended.

We had one full day in Athens, and booked another tour, to take us to the Acropolis. We went there, and saw the Pantheon. It was just awesome to see. But the tour itself, was not very good! The guide did not seem too interested. We would also visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, with guards standing completely still.
at one of the ruins

We did run into problems booking a boat tour, and my mom had to straighten it out with a travel agent. The boat tour just provided transportation to a few of the Greek islands. I don't remember which ones we visited. I just remember walking around, seeing some nice architecture, and a lot of cats. And sometimes, in groups. Never saw so many before at one time. This was on the last full day of the trip.

Next day, it was time to go back. But we ended up in a major delay. I can't remember the cause, but I do remember sitting in a hot plane for a few hours. Even slept through part of it.

It was an okay trip, even if I was not a fan of the bus tour. And I was really not photogenic at all, as you can tell in my photos. In fact, I got very annoyed whenever my mom asked me to pose for a picture. Also, I don't remember at all, at what exact site I was at.

Returning home, as I was about a month away from going to college at Temple University.

inside the museum