Colorado 2002 - First Time Flying Since 9/11

Colorado Travel Blog

underneath Balanced Rock

This would be my first time flying on an airplane since 9/11. So that meant, no more waiting until the last minute, to get to the airport. and zipping by security. Instead, this was my first experience with long and slow lines at security.

I decided to visit Colorado, which would make it my third visit. I would be visiting from May 14th to 19th. My first time was in 1989, as our family took a road trip around the state, and my first experience being at high altitudes and feeling light-headed. The second time was in 1991, mainly to ski at Vail and Aspen, but I remember Vail a lot better. And a reminder that skiing on natural snow is so much better than on artificial snow. In this trip, I would attempt to retrace the steps of my first visit, as I would experience it first time as an adult.

at top of Pikes Peak

Arriving there, the first place to go to, was Colorado Springs. The drive to there, was just scenic and gorgeous. Once there, to see Garden of the Gods (where I stood underneath the Balanced Rock), Seven Falls, and take the cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak. Not surprising, I felt light-headed, and drank so much water to reduce the effects of being at high altitudes when on Pike's Peak. Well, going back down, all that water was not needed, resulting in needing to use the bathroom so badly. Not fun at all!

I also visited Arcade Amusements, to play some games, but did not stay long. Plus visited the Ghost Town Museum, which is a great museum. And when I stopped by a Subway restaurant, I did talk to the woman working there, and she was nice enough to give me a free cookie.

I would take a detour to the Royal Gorge, sometime I remember visiting back in 1989.
at top of Pikes Peak
I was able to find the attraction, which was riding a small train to the viewing platform. Unfortunately, I ended up riding with a bunch of school kids, on a field trip. But I was able to get a good view of the canyon below.

I would go to Denver, seeing some people I knew from before. And seeing the city, as I visited the State Capitol, and the Colorado History Museum. Both were nice places to visit. And I walked along the 16th Street Mall, a pedestrian street with only buses that transported people along it. Plus I did visit the Denver Botanic Gardens, seeing the gardens and Japanese tea houses, plus going through a greenhouse. It was okay, but not too different from the other botanical gardens that I've been to in other cities.
sitting by Seven Falls

I would also tour a couple houses. The first one was the Byers-Evans House, which was also labeled the Denver History Museum. This was a house tour, telling the story of 2 families who lived in the area for generations. I also visited the Molly Brown House, another house tour. Seeing period furniture in the home of Molly Brown, who was one of the survivors of the Titanic.

I also went up to Boulder, where I met up with some people. I did not get to see much, as this was on the last day of the trip. I did stop by Coors Field, but not for a game. I would not have time to visit Rocky Mountain National Park, but maybe next time.

I stayed at a hotel near the airport, which was in the middle of nowhere. But still, I ended up missing my flight, and had to wait hours at the airport, until I got on the next flight back to Philly.

I remember my dad loving this place and raving about it after our 1st visit in 1989. After this trip, I can definitely see why.

at Balanced Rock