Chicago 2001 - My First Actual Visit

Chicago Travel Blog

at Daley Center

I have been to Chicago at least 3 times so far. But none of them were really to see the city, as I mainly came there to see relatives. The only thing that I remember seeing, was the Sears Tower, which was the tallest building in the world at that time. Since then, a certain building in Malaysia has that title. ;)

Anyway, this would be my first visit, going alone, and actually seeing the Windy City. I would also visit relatives as well, which would be the first time in a long time.

Continuing on from Pittsburgh, I arrived into the morning, on an overnight bus ride. The bus ride was no fun at all, as I was crunched against the window, by someone who had no concept of boundaries. Guess he did not realize it.

by Buckingham Fountain

The first place that I went to, was the Adler Planetarium, and paid to see a show there. Unfortunately, since I did not sleep well on the bus, I ended up falling asleep during the show. I did walk around the museum, but was too tired, and felt sick as well. I did get to see Lake Michigan and the city skyline from the restaurant there, in a glass dome.

I walked around the Loop, looking at the various buildings along the way. I stopped by the Chicago Cultural Center, which had displays about some clown, who used to be popular many years ago. I don't remember the name, but it was not Bozo.

Also in the Loop, I did stop by the Chicago Board of Trade, and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. Basically, you would be at a glass window, seeing people trading stock in person, and learn what exactly they are doing.
with some friends
And I went to the top of the Sears Tower, plus see Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park.

I did visit the Navy Pier, which is an amusement park along Lake Michigan. I walked through Crystal Gardens, and walked around the pier. I also went to the Rock N Roll McDonald's, the famous Golden Arch with rock n roll memorabilia. There are display of things related to rock music, dating back to the 50's.

I did spend half of this time, seeing my aunt and her family. It was okay, but it gets very annoying whenever the question about marriage comes up. Not really something I like to get into. I also spent time with some friends, and went to Six Flags Great America with them, which is north of the city.

It really sucks to be sick while traveling, which pretty much happened since the start of this trip.
at top of Sears Tower
I have no idea how this happened, but man, it's tough to enjoy because of the coughing, which in turn, causes me to have headaches.

Then comes the crap with the airlines, as I tried to go back home. I had to go to Midway Airport, and find that my flight is delayed. Big problem, since I had a connection in Pittsburgh. I tried to ask AirTran if there is any direct flights to Philly, but there were none. The people were not being helpful at all, as I went back and forth. The delay was 2 hours, and I flew to Pittsburgh. But there were no more to Philly, so I had to spend a night at a hotel there. The next morning, I would fly back to Philly, and would ask the airline to reimburse me for the hotel because of their delay, which they granted.

It was an okay trip, which was ruined by being sick, and the airport mess.

at Navy Pier